• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did you take off your stock screen protector?

TriumphLance

Android Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2011
I took the factory screen protector off of my first triumph that I ended up sending back. I'm debating taking it off of this one though. The screen seemed more sensitive too touch that's both good and bad. It was very thick when I took it off and the one I replaced it with was a lot thinner but really hard to get the bubbles out. So has anyone else taken theirs off and are you glad you did?

I took the factory screen protector off of my first triumph that I ended up sending back. I'm debating taking it off of this one though. The screen seemed more sensitive too touch that's both good and bad. It was very thick when I took it off and the one I replaced it with was a lot thinner but really hard to get the bubbles out. So has anyone else taken theirs off and are you glad you did?

when i buy mirrored screen protectors im gonna take it off... i also took it off before i set my old one back, and it is alot more responsive! :D and how did you apply your screen protector? i can get mine to go on without any bubbles at all :thinking:

i followed this youtube video:

How To Install an Amzer Screen Protector - YouTube

Upvote 0
Well I kept getting tiny particles stuck under it caused bubbles... What did you use to clean before applying? I'm probably going to take the stock off again since it was more responsive like an ipod touch

i used a cleaner called "invisible glass" (windex will work too) and after i wiped it clean i used a dry cloth to get any dust off that may have been attracted during wiping off the screen with a paper towel. then i applied it like in the video. i got a couple bubbles, but i was able to get them out by using my fingernail. (the little plastic card they give you is too flimsy LOL :p )

Upvote 0
Never saw the point of remover a screen protector to install another screen protector.

Still have th stock one on and responsiveness was never the problem. I did had occasional unresponsive touches but flashing CM7 cured that. I think any effect to the touchscreen you see from changing a screensaver is in your head, capacitive is capacitive.

Upvote 0
yes even though it is a capacitive touchscreen, it can still be affected by layers of stuff blocking contact between your finger and the screen... the zagg and amzer screen protectors are just as durable, but are thinner. resulting in a more responsive touchscreen. the stock screen protector is extreamly thick!

Upvote 0
I kept mine on until I was able to get to Best Buy and get an Invisible Shield! I got that and also a soft rubber case. I highly recommend the Invisible Shield. These things are BEASTS when it comes to protecting the screen from scratches lol. It also didn't effect the sensitivity of the screen, either. They are kind of expensive (I think I paid $21 but they installed it free, usually $8) but it beats the heck out of getting scratches on your screen!

Hope this helps!

[ if you find my posts helpful, please Thank me! This feature does not get used enough. TIA! :) ]

Upvote 0
Just want to say mine has pretty good response with stock protector on (I can see it with an app like Multitouch Vis Test app it's tracking well). Sometimes it doesn't register my touch, but that seems like a software problem. When it does register it's almost TOO sensitive, like I have to lightly touch it in order to not have it register as a swipe if I'm just trying to press a small button. My phone was built 8/11.

Upvote 0
yes even though it is a capacitive touchscreen, it can still be affected by layers of stuff blocking contact between your finger and the screen... the zagg and amzer screen protectors are just as durable, but are thinner. resulting in a more responsive touchscreen. the stock screen protector is extreamly thick!
I take off screen protector, have phone for 2 weeks, treat it same, smash... I have had the perfect phone for ~2 months and have treated it the same, and it hasn't shattered. i do wonder... does it keep the glass together if it shatters? maybe shock absorption? I was wondering, because I dropped it face down in a gravel driveway (slipped out of my hand while I was loading a car) and there was a dent... previous phone, same driveway: "craaack" and no screen protector. I don't really know though... it is a cheap huwaei phone...

Upvote 0
Keep the stock screen protector. On my original triumph, I removed it and installed an invisibleshield. The stock screen protector feels better, is more responsive, and protects better than the invisibleshield. The invisibleshield wears down every few months (nicks, gouges, scratches), and it costs $$$, and feels a bit...weird (rubbery). The stock screen protector is like glass, and in my current triumph resists all scratches/nicks.

Upvote 0
I've had one where I took the screen protector off and the one I'm using now where I decided to just keep it on. I always have trouble putting those shields on it so I figured I'd use the stock one until it got scratched or is not useable anymore.

The one that had the screen protector off did feel a little more responsive but not to the point where I felt I had to have it off. I guess it's really user orientated and if it's not bothering you then I'd just leave it on.

Upvote 0
I've had one where I took the screen protector off and the one I'm using now where I decided to just keep it on. I always have trouble putting those shields on it so I figured I'd use the stock one until it got scratched or is not useable anymore.

The one that had the screen protector off did feel a little more responsive but not to the point where I felt I had to have it off. I guess it's really user orientated and if it's not bothering you then I'd just leave it on.
My theory is this: if they get a phone returned they don't have to refurbish the screen, just apply a new screen protector.... think about it that way and it makes sense, kind of.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones