• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Die multiple contacts... DIE!!

FunPacked

Lurker
Jul 27, 2011
If anyone can help me out on this one.... Some of my linked contacts have started to regenerate themselves in regards of the phone account. Some contacts now have double, triple and quads phone contacts (exactly the same). One has 200+, and the MF of all has regenerated itself 18000+!!!!!! times. WTF is going on here? Anyone with ideas? I've tried to erase the two contacts (200 & 18000+) but the phone freezes. Getting closer to a complete factory reset, but willing to try something b4. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

All problem contacs do have a FB linking (and now removed) but all duplications are under the phone "account" and still there. The big one now shouldn't be linked to anything anymore, but is actually linking to itself again 18000+ times. When phone contacts with two or three linkings like this have them removed, they occur in the phone book as many times as the linkings were. I've tried to just delete the big one but the process stops responding.

Upvote 0
All problem contacs do have a FB linking (and now removed) but all duplications are under the phone "account" and still there. The big one now shouldn't be linked to anything anymore, but is actually linking to itself again 18000+ times. When phone contacts with two or three linkings like this have them removed, they occur in the phone book as many times as the linkings were. I've tried to just delete the big one but the process stops responding.

i get this when i flash a new rom and put in my google account after i've already used my vcard to import contacts! all i can think is to delete all and import from google IF you have all the contacts backed up?

Upvote 0
i get this when i flash a new rom and put in my google account after i've already used my vcard to import contacts! all i can think is to delete all and import from google IF you have all the contacts backed up?

The only backup I have is via HTC Sense, but I expect the error is saved there as well. Not really up to date how Sense works in that matter.

Upvote 0

Go into your google account via the web and edit your contacts.
Go into each contact and delete all the metadata attached to it. You'll notice its all the linking thats been done. I usually take the time myself to edit the contacts as well.

Once you've done that, do a factory reset (wipes the /Data/ partition on the phone where all your personal data is stored). Run through setup entering all your accounts again, and then let the phone sync. Now you'll have all the new edited data without the damn links, and now when you link, it'll be for the first time.

I have gotten to the point myself where the self replicating contacts have pissed me off so much that I dont even bother signing into HTC sense account anymore (so phone contacts remains at zero, and every new entry I save to Google.

once thats done, all you'll have to worry about is the crap that is still on HTC's cloud service ('phone').

Upvote 0
OK, here's how I solved it without factory reset. Downloaded Contact Remover Plus from market. (€1) Put the phone in airplane mode to avoid resync from Sense, and market the BIG contact for removal. The process took 36h.... LOL, then reboot. When signing in to sense again the sync process added 700 duplications. Repeated the process, and the next time I got 200 duplications. Now I went to merge duplications in Contact Remover Plus and started a sync after each time. Two weeks later no duplications anywhere, but I do scan from time to time. Problem is solved but I really would like to know what trigger was to build it up from the start.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones