Difference between Backups

Last Updated:

1. rocke

rocke Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 8, 2010
    With a rooted phone, there seems to be 3 fundamentals forms of backup: nandroid using ClockworkMod, ROM manager, and Titanium Backup. What is the fundamental difference between each of the 3 since a backup is always suggested before loading a new ROM or kernel.

I know that a nandroid backup is the one usually suggested but would the Titanium Backup serve the same purpose. Also, does the backup maintain the stock ROM (Froyo 2.2 Sense) and kernel?

Thanks for any help.

2. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Clockwork & Rom Manager are the same (nandroid). This is basically a state in time system image (everything including the OS). Titanium only backs up the apps and data. My rule of thumb is, a nandroid every time I install a new ROM (delete the one's you don't care about later), and titanium backups at least weekly. When you install a new ROM, it's best practice to do a full wipe, so nandroid's do you no good in this case. This is where the titanium backups come in. The nandroid backup is there so that you can go back to the state that your phone was in instantly, if you do not like the new ROM, or if there is a problem.
    rocke likes this.
  3. Weazol

Weazol Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010

Nandroid backup is a must

Titanium backup is just to save you the hassle of having to reinstall apps.

If your phone is in bootloops a Titanium backup wont save you.

(Rom Manager is just a more convientent way of doing a nandroid. It's the same exact thing but gets to the nandroid backup without you have to go into clockwork.)
    rocke likes this.