Difference between Galaxy ROM and Behold ROM

Last Updated:

1. vision27

vision27 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, i just got a behold II so i decided to join the forums.

First off thanks to BH_MAN for all his hard work.

I have succefully rooted and flashed my BH2 but i was in a rush to use my phone and i didnt take the time to see which rom would be better for me so i went ahead and flashed the galaxy rom but what im trying to figure out is what are the main differences between the two roms... i tried reading around but i couldnt point out the main differences.

If anyone can help me out that'd be great :)

Oh and btw does vibrate work on the Behold 2 ROM?

Thanks in advance

EDIT:
    I also see that the galaxy rom has a kernel update by BH_MAN, but i have no clue on how to update it.. any help?

Advertisement
  2. tritran18518

tritran18518 Well-Known Member

* Stock rom: vibrate working, better camera app but slow, and battery life is terrible
    * Galaxy rom: fast, great battery life, vibrate doesn't work, camera app has very few options.
    * Both rom have wifi issue and sleep issue
    * update kernel: Using ODIN, load .ops into OPS and kernel.tar into PDA, and flash

vision27 likes this.
  3. vision27

Thanks, exactly what i was looking for.

Which one is considered better? because the way i see it galaxy rom is faster and better battery oposed to having the vibrate working.

And what is the benefit of updating the kernel? Because i dont want to have everything erased and reflashed.. or is there a way to update kernel without loosing everything?

4. tritran18518

1. depend on you, If you need vibrate, so you have to go with stock rom. If not, go to galaxy
    2. update kernel won't erase anything.

5. vision27

Allright, so im not reflashing the ROM. Im just flashing a new kernel.?

And what's the benefit of updating the kernel

6. tritran18518

* yes, flashing kernel is not flashing rom.
    * The most important of Flashing kernel is fixing some Force Close issues and losing root problem. Besides, it brings better speed and battery life.

7. vision27

Ok yeah cause i've been seeing some random FC.

Once again man thanks so much. That'd be all.

8. 2FR35H

2FR35H Well-Known Member

The battery life is just dandy on stock rom if you ask me.. It may not be as great as Galaxy but its still better than Behold 2 with no custom rom

wifi isn't necessarily an issue either all you gotta do is change the wifi sleep policy and boom problem solved.

vision27 likes this.
  9. psz

psz Well-Known Member

One other thing:

The Galaxy ROM uses stock Android UI, apps and menus.

The Behold versions of the ROM use the Behold style Notification Bar (IE: WiFi, Bluetooth, etc), as well as the Behold version of common apps (Dialer, Contacts, Camera, WiFi searcher, etc)

Of course, Factory 1.6 is full on Behold II, complete with all TouchWiz features, including the Cube.

vision27 likes this.
  10. vision27

@tritran
    Your either wrong or i did something wrong because i did what you said and it reset my phone (everything gone)

So since i didnt have anything to lose i flashed the behold 2 rom just to check it out

@2FR35H
    I am not so sure about the battery to me it seems to be dying wayy faster than the galaxy rom, and yea i wasn't having wifi issues with either rom.

@psz
    I see what you mean, and its hard for me to pick which interface i like more.. the galaxy is too simple while the behold rom is too "bulky"

But yeah atleast now i've tried both roms and i clearly see the difference, anyways thanks alot guys been great help.

11. 2FR35H

2FR35H Well-Known Member

Well it depends on what you have on your phone like No Twiz apparently is better battery because with the same apps I run out of battery less according to Linpack for android.

12. tritran18518

How can it reset your phone? Actually, before i flashed kernel, i backup everything; however, after i finished, i realized that everything was still there. And i didn't need to backup

13. NeoAndroid

NeoAndroid Well-Known Member

If you're using A2SD, you will not lose your apps since flashing a new ROM only wipes out the phones internal memory. I have A2SD so I never lose my apps. I use SpriteBackup however to backup my system setting and preferences. Once in a while, I do have to uninstall and re-install an app for it to register that you have it.

14. vision27

Yeah well idk i think im switching back to galaxy because of the battery issues...

And im not sure how it reset but all i did what you told me ( i didnt even load a ROM file) and it reset settings, apps and everything.. (it even said reset pda in the log window)