• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps difference between local and remote service

hi
I am trying to run a service that does my REST operations. i would like it to start as soon as my app starts and grab the records from the backend server and display them as a ListView inside a Tab Layout.

while researching about writing a service class, i came across 2 kinds of services -

1. Local

2. Remote

i tried to get the difference between them, but it is not clear from what i read. can anyone explain how they are different?

Thanks in advance!

Hi blundell,
thanks for replying to my question :) . i have a follow up on your answer, i.e., when you say that
"A remote services you call from your machine but is running on a remote(off site(not by you)) machine and doing things from there"

do you mean that these are the services that are not part of my application but are a part of some other application ?

and by machine do you mean the DVM or my mobile device?

thanks in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones