Difference between old GNex and new?General

Last Updated:

1. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

I had an initial Galaxy Nexus that I preordered and used as soon as it came out. My wife got one several months later (sometime in April). There is a clear difference between the look of the screen of the two devices. I could hold them side by seen and my wife's GNex has darker greys and blacks at ALL brightness settings. This actually made the viewing experience better. My phone all of a sudden seemed washed out. I had always believed that my screen looked great, way better than I expected or had been used to previously.

I have sold both of these devices and my Nexus 7 to dive head first into Windows Phone 8. With integration at my job and the need for ANYONE at my company to know and understand troubleshooting for the device I decided to make the leap. I am, however, considering adding another line and picking up a device to use for "fun". I've already invested into Android, so it just makes sense to pick that up. While I love WP8, there is still a lack of full support from app devs. While I did think about getting an iPhone, since I was already familiar with Android... I really don't want to use an iPhone or get stuck in a two-year contract with one.

Having a backup phone is great and I really did love my Galaxy Nexus. What I am wondering is what other differences might exist that I was unaware of between the later versions of the phone. Have we seen posts claiming that earlier or later version had certain issues that another did not? I only ever used my wife's phone long enough to really back it up, wipe it and prepare it for sale. For the money I think it makes the most sense to go with a Nexus, I find that the more expensive S3 is just far too unwieldy for me. What a difference .15 inches makes...

So.... pros or cons to older or newer?

Advertisement
  2. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

Which new nexus are you referring to? Nexus 4?

Not all displays are equal. Some display darker blacks some not.. Even if you take two identical phones you will see different colors. Phones Time life also affects display quality
  3. GalaxyNexus

GalaxyNexus Well-Known Member

It's probably just the "new phone factor".
  4. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

I meant a GNex that was pre-ordered at release and then one that was purchased in April. The phones side-by-side looked drastically different with the stock rock, factory reset, with the same brightness level, same DPI, same... everything. They were even reset and locked using the same program.

I find it hard to believe that just 4 or 5 months could make such a drastic difference. I was wondering if there was perhaps any differences that anyone else had noticed. I never noticed until I finally held them right next to each other before selling them.
  5. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

No. They are all physically identical. Individual display traits will vary between devices regardless of when they were purchased. Some will be "better" than others. Its a crap shoot.
  6. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

All galaxy nexuses are identical. The only difference between them could be software. Maybe you talking about nexus s?
  7. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

THIS. I just got my replacement Galaxy Nexus today and am debating on whether I like my old one better or not.

I requested a replacement because my original GN had "banding" but not the kind with low brightness and gray gradients, this is noticeable whenever a solid color is displayed (especially red).

My replacement arrived and it had a dimmer, slightly yellow tinted screen. I think I'm going to stick with this one because the colors are smooth, no extra horizontal lines. I'd hate to settle but I've seen some people that have replaced their phone over 4 times.
  8. ritchea

ritchea Well-Known Member