• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Difference between WEA levels?

plnelson

Aug 21, 2010
Many new phones support the government's Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) system. I just bought a Samsung S3 and in less than an hour, while I was driving home from the Verizon store I was startled by a loud, piercing alert tone sounding like the old Emergency Broadcast System alarm. I pulled over to see what it was and it was a flash flood warning sent by some anonymous government agency. (what Verizon calls an "Authorized Sender" but they won't say who) These things are going to cause accidents, IMO.

Anyway, there are 4 levels of Alerts - Amber Alerts, Severe Alerts, Extreme Alerts, and Presidential Alerts.

I disabled the Amber alerts - honestly, what are we supposed to do with one of those? Drive around looking for little kids who match the description?? That sounds like a good way to get arrested! We're not allowed to disable Presidential Alerts (think about that for a second). But that leaves the other two.

Does anyone know what the difference is between Severe Alert and Extreme Alert? Thanks in advance.

Wait until this thing goes crazy (also the owner of a Galaxy S3). I started getting THE SAME ALERT multiple times a day: "Flash Flood Warning this area til 6:00PM CDT. Avoid Flood area. Check local media - NWS" ... over and over and over again ... I just disabled ALL emergency alerts, to see if that would cure the problem. Does anybody else have this issue? Any suggestions about how to still receive valid ones, while cleaning up this specific false one?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones