Difference in data connection with phone right next to meSupport

1. A-Pac

A-Pac Active Member

A coworker and I both have the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon. We sit right next to each other. At times we will have a completely different data connection. Just today I had no data connection at all and he was on 4g. Mine finally went to 1x (Ive never even seen that), all while he was still on 4g.

Anyone know why, or how to fix that? Im assuming if I restarted it would go back to normal, but I shouldn't have to do that...

Advertisement
    :
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

If you go to Settings > About phone and look at the Baseband Version on both phones, are they the same?
  3. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

The reception on the (at least Verizon) Gnex is very inconsistent and overall poor compared to other phones in my experience. I worked in a strong 4G area and for the whole year that I had my Gnex, I would mostly stay on 3G or 1x while inside my building at my desk while I saw people with other 4G phones on Verizon have 4G signal while in the same spot. I would occasionally get 4G, but it would usually go away and revert back to 3G after a min or trying to actually connect to something. I have a friend with a Gnex that works near me too and he had the same experience. We were both rooted/ROM'd too and were on the same basebands. We would also experience random data connection drops while in a strong signal area. I could be outside and have full bars of 4G (where I normally should) and while streaming something or using the connection, my phone would randomly just drop the data connection, yet show full bars of phone signal (just with no 1x/3G/4G signal next to it). It didn't happen consistently, but probably at least 1-2 times a week.

Now I have a Note 2 and haven't had any of these issues. I have 2-3 bars of 4G at my desk at all times now and have never seen data drop where it shouldn't. So I think any reception issues on the Gnex are due to a slightly inferior antenna design on the phone. That's just my take after having the phone for a full year and having every baseband firmware available installed on it (I never really saw much of a difference after the first couple that fixed even worse data connection issues). I see you're on the GSM varient though and I haven't seen as many GSM Gnex users complain of antenna issues like the Verizon users were. So it may be less of an issue on that phone.
  4. ritchea

ritchea Well-Known Member

Google GSM version with the same issues you mention. I always figured it was a combination of poor signal where I live and weak antenna/radio (2 iphone 4S's in the house on same service and they get and keep a signal all the time). I've tried several basebands but no real improvements. I have read that the Verizon version, initially, at least, had major issues.
  5. A-Pac

A-Pac Active Member

They are different. Mine is:
    I515.09 V.FF02 / I515.FG02
  6. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I don't know what his registers as, but one of you is not upgraded to the latest baseband.

If his is consistently better reception, you could always change to his baseband version. You'll need to install one of the custom recoveries for this, such as ClockworkMod or TWRP.

If his is a higher version than yours, you may just have to upgrade your phone to the latest release of Android, which - if you do it officially through Verizon - will come with the latest baseband.