Difference in Roms? i.e Best ROM?

Last Updated:

1. blackops

blackops Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so on the rooting, I don't understand:( what makes a certain rom more appealing than another.

That's why I ask what is the Best Rom? or if there is one?
    What are the main differences in Rom's?-Blackdroid,chevy,etc?

Advertisement
  2. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

There is no best ROM. Some people have better results with other ROM's. Your gonna have to try them out and see which one works best for you. Some of them come pre-themed and some come with overclocking already setup. Some have are built from the source (Koush) and some are copy+pasted together. What you should do is make a list of what you want and then compare it to what is available and see what has the features you want.

Now personally if I had to rate ROM's I would go

1. Pete's Bugless Beast TIED with Koush's CyanogenMOD
    2. DroidMOD/SholesMOD
    3. Simply Stunning
    4. Smoked Glass
    5.Ultimate Droid (Never used it though)

3. blackops

that means the main reason why people chose a rom over another is the experience they get with it?

4. CRPercodani

Basically, unless there is something specific you want that only one ROM has.

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

For the most part, your experience will be the same across all the ROMs, with the exception of the CyanogenMod, which has some unmatched features.

I wouldn't look at DroidMod at the moment, since it's 2.0.1 based, and that's basically been made irrelevant by the advent of ERE25 and ESE53 (2.1 builds made specifically for Droid)

Pete, Chevy, and AdamZ's ESE53 ROMs basically offer the same functionality (2.1 base, 2.1 apps, overclock, wifi tethering, etc.)

They are packaged a little different, have differing looks, but are pretty similar under the hood.

Everyone's Droid is a little different though, so one person's experience will not necessarily translate over to another user's.

People can give recommendations, but you won't be able to tell which one you like the best without trying for yourself.

6. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Exactly. There are also different types of users. Some people want something that runs right out of the box. They want to install it and not have to mess with it. Many of us here love a challenge (push that amplifier up to 11!). We are not satisfied (ever!). We constantly push and tinker and constantly find solutions and thrive on discovering new problems. Spend 5 hours adjusting a status icon we will never use. Some rate their ROMs on real world usage while others rely on benchmarks. Ask 5 of us our ROM opinions and you will get 10 answers. Some of it based on real evidence, most of it subjective ("I know it locks up but it looks great!"). Read through the threads, identify the strengths and weaknesses of what is out there, and experiment for yourself. Ask yourself, "is rooting and modding the means or the ends?" Personally, if there was a perfect ROM, I would get bored rather quickly. BTW - right now my favorite is Koush's. Ask me again tomorrow :D

7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Neil has his point: he likes to tinker under the hood. I prefer to perfect my Droid and LEAVE IT THERE. The more tinkering I do, the more I risk messing something up that ain't broke. So I look for the ROM with the features I like and stay there until it improves.

Depends on which sort of person you are, and how much tinkering you want to do. :)

8. blackops

So I should just try out some to get a feel for which one suits me best?

How easy is it to uninstall and install ROMs

9. -=Jeff=-

-=Jeff=- Well-Known Member

Yes try some out, find what 'fits' you

get easier as you go.. once rooted get Titanium Back-up it will help

10. shrink57

Changing roms is easy but take your time and do it right. To give a new rom a fair chance, after doing your backup, do a data wipe so you are starting with a clean slate (eliminates many problems). If you use Titanium to backup and restore your apps, restore you apps and app data. Do not restore system data. Take a few extra minutes and enter your system data after the new rom is installed by hand. Follow instructions on the developer's webpage, as many problems and questions have already been addressed.

Happy flashing!!!

11. FuhxTehAppelz

FuhxTehAppelz Well-Known Member

Always Always Always Always Always Always do a nandroid backup before flashing a new ROM. I have about 10 nandroid backups from all the ROMs i have loaded, because not every rom has worked on my phone, so if it doesn't work, I revert. Beats a brick. :cool:

12. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Well-Known Member

can't wait till droidmod comes out with their 2.1 rom

13. CRPercodani

Your sig should say ESE53 not ERE53.

14. shrink57

From what I am reading the DroidMod team (mob? gang?) is collaborating with Koush. That should yield some exciting results (the question is if and when).

15. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

Are they really? Do you have a link?

16. shrink57

17. CRPercodani

They are just talking about building from the source tree like Koush/Cyanogen do, not about collaborating with them.

18. blackops

so when i backup does that mean I can switch between roms?

19. MrClean

MrClean Well-Known Member

A backup is a copy of the phone as it is right now. So if you flash a new ROM and don't care for it, you can restore your phone from one of your backups. Just be sure to do a full backup (make sure all options are checked, data, system, etc) and if you decide to revert to it, things should be as they were before you flashed the new ROM.

20. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

That is quite a holier thou post. Saying other developers are just cookie cutters.

"DroidMod isn't the work of one team, but the work of literally thousands of people, focused, extracted, purified, distilled. We stand on the shoulders of giants."

Its a rom for a phone come on

21. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I know, I read that and laughed! Hey, I appreciate the efforts that all devs make to advance android and our user experience but damn...that sounds like a line out of a movie...you know, at the end where they are trying to save the world! :D Cheesy!

22. shrink57

Agreed. Whatever it takes. If it is narcissism that drives them, so be it. The 'oneupsmanship" has gotten use many a new feature. We all come out a winner (until the infighting interferes with development as we have seen many times in this continuing soap opera, "As the ROM Turns.").

23. gwwjpd

gwwjpd Well-Known Member

The "Best ROM" is the next one, no the one after that, no wait...

24. yournamepenor

yournamepenor Well-Known Member

personally i go for the simply stunniing for some reason i like the way its looks and is built. the just cam out with 2.0.3 the newest 2.1 build.

25. CRPercodani

Whoa it took thousands of people to create their ROM's? I would of thought that many developers could have came up with something better. I guess the air is too thin atop those giant's shoulders.