Difference

Last Updated:

1. Liebow27

Liebow27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What is the difference between Unrevoked3 and Unrevoked Forever?

Advertisement
  2. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Big time, and I'm not being a dick here, unrevoked, has everything you need to know there,

3. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

While I agree with ACD that you should do a little searching, the unrevoked site is not user friendly at all. Basically:

unrevoked = one time root. basically temporarily "unlocks" your phone to allow you to install a custom recovery.
    unrevoked forever = nand unlock. This is a permanent "unlock" which allows you to install unsigned firmware. So even if you accept a locked update, you can still install a custom recovery.

Before unrevoked 3.2, if you were to install the 2.2 OTA, you would not be able to root without having previously done unrevoked forever.

4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

thanks for that, I hate telling anyone to search, but it was late and couldn't keep my eyes open lol.

5. Ecks

Ecks Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating root on my DInc and I've been to the unrevoked site to read the documentation...

If I wanted to install a rom like cyanogenmod (spelling?), which unrevoked would I need to accomplish this?

6. DizkoDan

If you are on 2.2 then you need the new unrevoked 3.2 which is not available to download directly yet. You can join their IRC channel to get it if you are feeling adventurous.

7. jiggaDROID

jiggaDROID Well-Known Member

Nice, just went over to the site, and didn't see too much information.

Does this mean that you can use this tool even AFTER already updating the OTA? I'm already rooted, but the reason I ask is because a friend of mine wants to get the Inc specifically to root and get wifi tether. In case it comes 2.2 out of the box, I want to make sure she still has that option.

8. DizkoDan

If you did unrevoked forever, then yes, you can still install clockwork on 2.2. If you have a virgin 2.2, then you will need to use unrevoked 3.2x when it is released.

9. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

Hey guys, quick question--Is rEVOked 3.2* supposed to work for both 2.1 and 2.2 users? In other words, when it comes out is it going to be a one-stop root and nandroid unlock for all Incredible users? If so, it sure will make answering preliminary questions for new people more simple.

10. DizkoDan

I don't know for sure, but I assume it will based on their version'ing. They would (should) have made it unrevoked4 if it were not backwards compatible like they did with 2.

dscribe likes this.