Differences between ICS and Honeycomb?

Last Updated:

1. theultimateone

theultimateone Active Member

Hello long time no see!I have just heard of the new icsxoom update and I'm really happy I'm finnaly gonna get ics!I think ics is better but the galaxy nexus gave me a bad impression on it.its still updating so. What's better and why

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

HC is just for tablets. ICS is just a hybrid version of android that will run on both phones and tablets. As for whats better, not sure. Maybe nothing... It may just be a consolidation excersize.
  3. Cramill

Cramill Well-Known Member

ICS is going to be better than HC since it is truly open source (Google never has released the source of HC). And, because it is an OS for both Phones and Tablets, when developers make their apps work with ICS, its going to scale much better to the tablet.

Also, the folks at google took their time with ICS to make it the best version of Android so far - HC was rushed and it shows.

Also, my Xoom seems a lot snappier with ICS. Much smoother, and I like it!
  4. Camel Chops

Camel Chops Active Member

I've not noticed a massive difference yet but I'm happy for the update
  5. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

Wonder when it's going to hit for the 3g/LTE original XOOMs. I've got one and I'm waiting for the ICS goodness :L
  6. HowDoiUseAndro

HowDoiUseAndro Well-Known Member

gamul1 and marctronixx like this.
  7. ToyotaTacoma

ToyotaTacoma Well-Known Member

Is it possible that my Xoom is faster just because of ICS? The two slower speeds are Honeycomb, and the two faster speeds are ICS... It is a coincidence?

Edit. Looks like the size of the screenshot won't allow me to post... Anyway, speeds are about 5mb faster...
  8. Crimson13

Crimson13 Well-Known Member

Not sure which speeds your talking about, but as ICS is highly optimized and not rushed to the Xoom like HC was, I'm going to say probably
  9. gamul1

gamul1 Well-Known Member

I do not think I am seeing any optimization improvements in ICS. My company requires a password on any device that reads email from them. When I activated the screen password - it ended up being a long process that took an hour to encrypt my Xoom. For me - the Xoom has been noticeably slower since then and upgrading to ICS did not help that.

:-(
  10. gamul1

gamul1 Well-Known Member

From that page is this list:
    Even more live wall papers? I could be wrong but I think i have less. I seem to only have like 5 live wallpapers now - I think before I had about 7 - 9. I can't be sure right now because my device is at home, but I think I got less.

"Redesigned foldering capabilities" - what is this one?

And this one: Wi-Fi Direct support

Glenn
    theultimateone and daltekkie like this.
  11. ShadaarLogath

ShadaarLogath New Member

You know what would be great? A manual. Maybe I'm just not techy enough, but there are lots of new features, but no instructions on how to get to them or how to modify them. Plus I really dislike the fact that they "Menu" button is gone from the home screen. Pisses me off.
  12. mark20044

mark20044 Member

Haven't got my Xoom ICS update yet (take your time Big Red, I'm not anxiously waiting or anything...) but on my Galaxy Nexus you can drag an icon onto another on the homescreen and they both drop into a folder right there. I believe they were "inspired" by iOS for that trick, but it's nice to have regardless of where it came from.

No clue about the Wi-Fi Direct though.
    gamul1 likes this.
  13. gamul1

gamul1 Well-Known Member

Thanks! About time they enabled folders on the Xoom. Maybe its been there all along but I never found it. Now I can clean my system.
  14. burtie1980

burtie1980 Member

I also noticed that since updating to ICS you can now leave reviews for apps in the market! :)
  15. Albhuman

Albhuman Member

I've noticed an overall speed increase and level of responsiveness over HC. Happy to find that article about the differences :)
  16. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

ICS is to honeycomb as windows 7 is to vista. Faster, more complete, and more refined.
  17. theultimateone

theultimateone Active Member

thanks for the reply guys!sorry i havent been visiting for a while the community has really grown!
    marctronixx likes this.
  18. harmless_abuse

harmless_abuse Well-Known Member

Wanted to mention that there is no favorites tray on my Xoom.
  19. heat57

heat57 Well-Known Member

Yes, same here! On my Nexus S I do have the favorites tray.

P.S. I have flashed US ICS on my UK WiFi Xoom. :D
  20. Hexadecimus

Hexadecimus Well-Known Member

Is there any way to change that damned MobileID button to the browser or something else? Or is this something we have to wait for ROMS to fix?