• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Different gen phones?

Hey all, I just inherited this optimus LG and discovered that it's stuck on an inferior version of the android OS and requires a rooting and the link2sd app in order to let me have more than like 5 apps.

While I have jailbroken various iOS devices, I have 0 experiences with rooting Android devices, whatsoever. I like my phone, it's the first I've ever had with a camera flash, love how I can have a PSX emulator etc and I can't afford a replacement.

I've tried using the terminal to find out which screen I have since I discovered I need to know this before I attempt a root; the thread that said this sent me here but it seems like my phone needs to be rooted before I can even do this.

I installed busybox no root from the playstore and android terminal emulator and followed it's instructions but am still having issues with the commands, saying I need busybox and gep is not found etc.

I really want to have more than 5 apps at once, it's ridiculous.

Can someone help a newbie like me with laymen jargon?

PS I attached an image of what I get when I try to follow these instructions.

Here is my exact phone specs and model
http://m.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_l9_p769-5025.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-03-10-53-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-03-10-53-23.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones