• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Different (notification) sounds for different apps?

bramkaandorp

Nov 17, 2013
Ever since I started using Android, I tried to set a specific sound for certain apps from which I get frequent notifications.

So for gMail, I use the Dew Drop sound from Samsung, even on non-Samsung devices. My brain simply links that sound to "Ah, a new email".

Pushbullet has the sound of a bullet shell hitting the ground, and SMS messages are the Pure Bell sound (also from Samsung).

I'm still looking to change some apps, but I thought I'd get some inspiration from other people.

So which custom sounds do you use?

Ringtones and alarms are also welcome, even though I'm solid on those for now. I have the outro music for the TV show Dinosaurs (the Jim Henson show) as my ringtone, and I have a random playlist of three songs from Back to the Future (What with it being 2015) as my alarm sound.

Reactions: El Presidente
My SMS notification is the sound Sonic the Hedgehog gets when he collects a ring.

My email tone is one of the default tones that appear on the G4

Whatsapp is just a simple beep.

I'm not a fan of the world knowing I've received a notification so mine are fairly discreet.

Aside from my ring tone, that's Good Times, Bad Times by Led Zep. :)

My alarm tone is one of the loudest I could find using Timelys default selection. I sleep with ear plugs in so it has to be loud and annoying.

Upvote 0
My default notification sound is HTC's "Bubble", which I've copied to every device since my HTC Hero. My Gmail notification is the default WinXP system notification, and my default ringtone is the one used by the CTU office phones in the original series of "24". Various custom tones are used for individual contacts; for example calls/texts from my sister are announced by a loud breaking of wind, while I'm warned of calls from my boss by the tone NATO pilots hear when an Su-30 fighter obtains radar lock. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones