• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Diggin MP3 Player

I have a Shoutcast app already written and ready to go (Nitoware Radio)except there's a hitch: the Android MediaPlayer object handles only "progressive download" MP3's, which audio streams aren't. If that hitch is overcome, you'll see my app and probably a half dozen others immediately.

Upvote 0
Can't you just dump the stream to a file on the sdcard or even internal storage then call media player on that? I don't write in Java very much but isn't there some sort of file-like object you can use as a buffer and pass that to the media player if creating a file is sub-optimal?

I'd actually like to see you folks creating apps open-source your code and host it on code.google.com or sourceforge or something. I can't imagine people paying for a media player these days, especially one which plays free internet streams. If I knew Java I'd create one myself.. but I'm somewhat limited on that front.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones