Digging for rumors on 4G coverage in NJ / CT

Last Updated:

1. berardi1111

berardi1111 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anything? would love to hear any non-sensical banter about expansion :)

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

check clear.com and they will show you where they plan to expand their coverage

berardi1111 likes this.
  3. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

While on my way to medieval timesyesterday, I picked up a 4G signal while on 287s in NJ . I think I was near Mahwah

berardi1111 likes this.
  4. berardi1111

Sweet, I heard people getting 4G near Elizabeth also... I wonder how it works, seems so random where they roll things out.

5. ODog2323

ODog2323 Well-Known Member

An in-store Sprint rep told me early last week that East Brunswick was getting 4G next, if it hasn't already.

Also have a friend who heard of some Sprint service/construction in that area from his network of fire and cop buddies.

berardi1111 likes this.
  6. inflewence

inflewence Member

There is 4g around the Ben Franklin bridge, on the NJ side. Spotted from there to Williamstown. If you know where that is. Also near Deptford.

berardi1111 likes this.
  7. berardi1111

That's great... I live near East Brunswick

8. sjjones

sjjones Well-Known Member

are you guys/gals leaving on the 4g while driving around, doesn't that blow through your battery searching?

9. boofa75

boofa75 Member

Was driving through Linden, NJ tonight and I picked up 4G. I pulled over and did a speed test...fast I got was 5.5Mb/s down and 2.2Mb/s up.

MisterEd likes this.
  10. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Well I'll be damned. I live in Linden off Stiles and about 2 miles from the GSP and about 5 miles from Route 1. When I saw your message I turned off my WiFi and turned on my 4G (it has ALWAYS been off) down here in my basement and was I ever surprised! :eek:

Where were you when you tested?

I'm in a residential area which surprises me even more. I wonder where the tower is.

[​IMG]

berardi1111 likes this.
  11. MisterEd

Clear.com shows "no coverage" for me or within 20 mile radius of me but I just turned on the 4G widget while in my basement and I've got 4G. :eek:

12. boofa75

boofa75 Member

I turned on 4G as soon as I pulled up to the corner of St. George and Park ave....Warinanco Park. Pulled over on East Elizabeth Ave and ran my test there. 4G held up as I drove around Warinanco Park but as soon as I got into Roselle Park it swtiched back to 3G.

13. MisterEd

Interesting. Heading towards Rahway down St George I am a right turn down Stiles and about 2 blocks in. I wonder if that huge relatively new tower behind the Linden fire station at St George and DeWitt that I can see from my front window has the cell. It's working in my basement so it must be pretty close and that seems the most obvious. I'll have to get under it tomorrow and see if my 4G signal goes up. :)

14. Mike_Diako

Mike_Diako Active Member

15. berardi1111

16. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

No love in the Princeton NJ area - dang!

17. boofa75

boofa75 Member

I drove to the fire station over on St. George and DeWitt and parked in the banks parking lot across the street. I had full 4G bars yet my speed never got up past 3.5Mb/s. I used both my phone and my wifes and same results. I'm guessing that they haven't unleashed the tower to it's fullest. I work in Linden and have family in Elizabeth, so at least I can use 4G when I'm in that area.

18. spider055

spider055 Well-Known Member

I picked up a signal yesterday in Linden and at Newark Airport. :D

19. spider055

spider055 Well-Known Member

I picked up my signal yesterday in Linden on Elizabeth ave one block before Roselle Street. :D

20. MisterEd

LOL, me too. I did the same thing. It's probably in test mode. AT&T is on that tower too and they were flaky for a while as well.

I live about 3 blocks west of the firehouse. In my basement I get 1 4G bar and get ~2.8Mb/s (not that I am going to use it here since I have 15Mb/s Fios wi-fi). But at least I feel I am getting my money's worth. :D It's probably a $79 Linksys router they got at BB and hung it off the tower in a plastic bag. :)

21. Mike_Diako

Mike_Diako Active Member

I figured I would chime in with an update. The past few days I have been getting spotty 4g signal in Manchester, CT through Hartford almost in to Newington on I84 and up to the 84 5/15 merge. I suspect they are still testing it since the signal levels are quite low. I'll keep you updated if I notice a change.

berardi1111 likes this.
  22. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

I live in washington township and if im not mistaken my father has 4g signal

berardi1111 likes this.
  23. boofa75

boofa75 Member

In the last week or two, I've picked up 4g in the following cities:

Clark, Hillside, Union, Elizabeth, Linden, and Roselle Park.

Today, we had a Sprint rep come in and I ask when will 4g be widespread. He told me that the signals that I've been picked up were in some sort of test mode. He went on to tell me that by October, all 4g towers will be switched on.

Take that with a grain of salt.

24. blip01

blip01 Member

Commuting form Gloucester Twp. to Pennsauken I pick up 4G sporadically. I've seen just under 7Mb down around Voorhees/Cherry Hill.

My experience is that when you can get a good signal it's fast as hell, but it's so spotty around here that it's nearly useless.

The clear map shows that my house will be covered in the (near?)future however. 7Mb down would be over twice as fast as my pokey DSL. haha!

25. blip01

blip01 Member

I work at the base of the Betsy Ross, and according to the map we're covered there, but no signal in the building or the parking lot even. lol

42 has some random spots that have 4G.