Digital Magnetometer (Compass) on Moto Droid?

Last Updated:

1. vinson

vinson Member This Topic's Starter

BGR's Droid preview says there's a digital compass/magnetometer, but I don't see it listed in the leaked specs from Motorola's website.

So does it have it or not?

Advertisement
  2. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

Yes

3. DonnyIrish

DonnyIrish Member

It does. :D

Couldn't help myself.

4. vinson

vinson Member This Topic's Starter

Is BGR your only source? If not, where else?

5. DonnyIrish

DonnyIrish Member

6. Jacqueline

You mean aside from common sense saying that the flagship android phone for Verizon won't be missing something that important? Then look for info from wnrussell who had the phone in hand and was allowed to release some early pics, although I'm not sure why you'd believe him if you don't believe BGR, me, and DonnyIrish.

Edit to add...
    I see Donny beat me to it. Anyway, the answer is yes, the phone has it.

7. shark1987

shark1987 Member

8. DonnyIrish

DonnyIrish Member

You're absolutely right Shark, that's what I get for posting in a hurry from work :/

But there are several posts/pics, as Jaqs has mentioned.

9. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

So, does it have a compass/magnetometer or just an accelerometer? I didn't see compass on the feature list.

10. Jacqueline

I understand the questions and expecting there to be a surprise. We have seen in early information releases that augmented reality apps work. That means there is a compass/magnetometer or else it wouldn't know which way is north and which way is up.

So, Yes.

11. Fitech

Fitech New Member

My Moto Droid does not seem to have a functioning magnetometer. Neither the compass app or a Geocaching app are able to find North. I will talk to Verizon support.

Otherwise, cool phone.

Update: My compass works after a hard reset. Just pull the battery out and put it back in!

12. eL777

eL777 Well-Known Member

I downloaded the compass app and my droid can find north and as I turn, the compass turns with me. So I can confirm that it does have a compass. It also works in street view after you "enable compass" under options while in street view.

13. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

I downloaded the Compass app on mine and while it would turn with me somewhat...it was never at any point even close to correct.

Turning it 90 degress UP (as in towards the sky) had more of an effect on it than turning 360 degrees in a circle.

14. Encryptshun

Encryptshun New Member

So was that your first troubleshoot step? My compass app doesn't find north, even after the "move your device in a figure 8" calibration step. Is there any harm in performing the battery removal before trying other things?

15. Fitech

Fitech New Member

That is actually what the Verizon Support Representative recommended. I was also nervous about it, but it is occasionally necessary when the Droid locks up as well. I *think* it is safe.

16. Encryptshun

Encryptshun New Member

Well, I did a hard re-boot by pulling the battery. I then downloaded the compass app and installed again. I followed the calibration steps.

The compass arrow still does not point North -- instead, it points about ten degrees to the right of whereever the top of the phone is pointing, no matter which way I rotate the phone. It does move -- it will sway and then return to rest at the same relational position.

Weird. Any other ideas? I'm trying to avoid calling the support line because I'm at work and having to be all stealthy...