• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Direct call widget missing

MaartenV

Lurker
Apr 12, 2015
This is really my biggest disappointment with the Galaxy S6. Samsung removed the widget to enable direct calls. This should be basic functionality on any phone. Why Samsung removed this option is beyond me. Anyone else missing this? I used those direct call widgets daily. Now I need to open the contact first, the choose a number. I am starting to really regret switching from my Galaxy S5.

Used them daily as well! How can we get these back? It's a hassel having to do it the long way as much add I use them through out the day.
Someone help?

Interesting....I use nova launcher. I imported my previous phone's launcher and the direct call widgets I had previously work on my home screen, but they are not in the widgets directory!

Upvote 0
I use them while driving for safety reasons. Found something I like better. I used an app called Desktop Visualizer to put a nice sized picture of my contact (say my wife) on the screen. Set it to open her contact when I touch it. The S6 has a setting to automatically dial a contact when (1) the contact is open on your screen and (2) you put the phone up to your ear. So one tap to open the contact, put the phone up to my ear, it calls her.

Upvote 0
I use and love Android Pro Widgets... for the sole reason of their contacts widget. There's a 5x5 that you can resisze to full screen. You can create custom groups. They scroll. You can set the default action to direct dial, bring up the contact badge, message, email... whatever you want. I have two full screens with two different custom groups. Love it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones