1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Directions Using Google My Maps

Last Updated:

1. Slot Car

Slot Car New Member This Topic's Starter

I am using Google Maps on my PC to create a customized route to a destination. When I do a Google Directions search it charts out a route that I do not want to take.

So I use the drag and drop method to change the route on the map and save it to My Maps. When I log back into Google My Maps on my PC, it shows me the modified route and the correct turn by turn directions using the new route. So far so good.

But when I load Google Maps on my Droid and show the layer I just created which is the new route to my destination. It shows me the new route traced on the map, but does not give me the correct turn by turn directions. Instead it always forces me to search for and load the "default" directions that Google found in the first place that I do not want to use. It does this with Google Navigation as well.

Why doesn't it use MY directions that I just created on Google Maps on my PC ?

How can I create a new route to a destinatioin and save it so I can get turn by turn directions using that new route that I have chosen?

Advertisement
  2. stevenfstein

stevenfstein Active Member

Did you ever figure out how to do this? Have the exact same situation. Created a map in Google maps. Opened Maps on the the Droid, clicked on Layers and it loaded my map with all of the way points. Started Navigation and it brought up a completely different route.

Regards.... steve

3. zetachi

zetachi New Member

mail them to your self then open the link.

4. androidforumsQuint

androidforumsQuint Active Member

I'm still looking for a way to create a custom map, put it on my Droid, and hear turn-by-turn directions while I ride my bike, so I don't need to look at the screen.

By 'custom map' I mean a route I define rather than just giving point A and point B, because when I go out on my bike, A and B are the same. My goal is to be able to cover certain streets and take certain paths, etc.

Has anybody:

1. found a work-around
    2. found an app that does this

Someone told me to try MapMyRide, but I couldn't figure out if it did what I wanted or not.

5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Take a look at 'BestRoute'.
    I think it's a close approach at your request :)

Harry

6. androidforumsQuint

androidforumsQuint Active Member

Wow, ... finally ... an app that kinda sorta does what I want. That's a start. The reviews are lukewarm and it has flaws though -- only 'automobile', not graphic waypoints setting, hard to understand, but maybe someday a bike app will appear .... thanks Harry

7. Runesai

Runesai Member

Fire off the developer an email. He's pretty approchable. I'm sure there are others who'd like that feature.