dirty flash?

1. d4rk13l4de

d4rk13l4de Active Member

What exactly does this mean? I have searched but have found anything. I'm looking at updating meanrom to 3.9

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

It means wiping only dalvik cache and cache when flashing an updated version of the same ROM you are currently on.

You won't lose any settings or data
    wanerza77, Tito23p, 3vodroid and 3 others like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

ummmm ok i was thinking of something else. LOL:eek::D
    3vodroid likes this.
  4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

Last flash remark i made was deleted by a red guy :( it was funny though
    3vodroid likes this.
  5. Rxpert83

I read it and tried to like it post delete but it wouldn't let me :(:p
  6. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :) Guide

I had flashed the new clean rom and was running it. I got a little exuberant cleaning it and started getting some fc's.

Another prob I had was that open signal maps app would not work, found out I need to have all the google location stuff on for it though.

anyway, I restored a nand of it but it was apparently made after i messed it up. or maybe it was before I figured out about the open signal thing, but, point is, I figured I would dirty flash it and fix what I had messed up but keep my set up.

No go, I hadn't wiped anything, but when I was through flashing, it was all new again, nothing saved.

Quite the opposite of my experience with the Mean iterations.
  7. Rxpert83

Some devs have it in the rom updater script to automatically wipe everything when you flash it.

Easy enough to undo their additions. I wrote a tutorial for it on the OG for MikG
  8. argedion

you need to change the updater script to do a dirty flash with those roms that automatically clean /data and /system files. the /data is the important one. Its ok to delete the /system partition as it will be re-written. I remember Rx having to do that for the Mik G rom for a customer ;) I didn't remember the guide he wrote though :eek: Dirty flashing is best left to those who are advanced enough to know what they are doing. its really not for the faint of heart. As always you should have a Good Nandroid you can go back to for when the dirty flash does not do what was expected or wanted.
  9. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

Or you can just do a backup with twrp and then after the flash restore just the data section. That's basically the same thing as a dirty flash.
    dustwun77 and argedion like this.
  10. argedion

true but doesnt it defeat the purpose besides its more fun to edit the ROM :D
    ovrrdrive likes this.
  11. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I can't argue with that at all... :)

This seems to be the latest craze over at XDA for some reason. I guess the peeps over there think they're getting a clean install doing it that way. I asked if they knew it was the same thing as a dirty flash but only one person even acknowledged my post. Oh well, as always do whatever gives you a warm and fuzzy. lol
    ocnbrze, Rxpert83 and argedion like this.
  12. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Well-Known Member

I just do some very selective system data restoration with TB. That way I get a clean install and keep my settings.

The full system data restore never seems to end well for me though, so which is why I only restore a few things.
  13. syi

syi Well-Known Member

Will this save apps?
  14. Rxpert83

Yes, dirty flashing prevents any data loss.

It's only for rom updates though not going from one ROM to the next
  15. syi

syi Well-Known Member

Well I don't want to tamper with the recovery or anything. And now Google play remembers your last installed apps and installs them on start
  16. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Well-Known Member

If you use Titanium you can restore the app and the app's data (saved games, and login info, ie)
    Granite1 likes this.
  17. syi

syi Well-Known Member

Going to try this dirty flash here in a bit. Backed up all my apps just in case though.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  18. syi

syi Well-Known Member

Worked like a charm!
    dustwun77, Rxpert83 and Granite1 like this.