Disable 2.1 popup update notification?

Last Updated:

1. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone please tell me how to disable the automatic 2.1 popup that is constantly displayed every time I unlock my phone? I imagine it would be something like renaming a certain file, but I guess I'd have to know the name of the correct file first.

Advertisement
  2. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

There really isn't any way but to root your phone. Look in the section for rooting your phone and follow directions there. That's the only way i know of how to be able to do that unfortunately.

3. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Also is there any reason to ever not accept the update if you are not rooted? I mean it it a thousand times better than 2.0.1. I understand if you are rooted not caring but if you are stock take the update.

4. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

Only reason would be to wait to see if there are any problems with the update that slipped through the testing process. Other then that i don't see a reason not to go with the update.

5. Nurseferatu

Nurseferatu Well-Known Member

After upgrading to Froyo I found that every time I connected my Incredible to my PC, my browser opened a tab insisting I download V-Cast Media Manager. Verizon customer service said there was no way to disable this.

(Downloading V-Cast doesn't help: If you cave in and load V-Cast thinking that will stop the popup, Media Manager then insists on opening every time you connect your Incredible to your PC.)

Fortunately there is a way to disable this crappy tactic without downloading V-Cast. I got this fix off the Verizon Forum. It has worked for many people, including me.

On your Incredible, dial ##7764726
    Press Call
    At "Password," type 000000 (that's 6 zeros)
    Press Feature Settings
    Choose CD ROM
    Click Disable
    Press menu, commit modifications (it will say no item changed)

After doing this, I turned the DrInc off, then on again. I find that when I connect to my PC I still have all the USB functionality I had before, and my browser is no longer hijacked by V-Cast.