• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disable 3G - Yes you can!

This is from this thread at backflipforums.com as posted by juggalonation75

You can turn off 3G by creating a shortcut with the app Any Cut. Here are the steps:

• Run Any Cut
  • Select New Shortcut
  • Select Activity
  • Scroll down and select Phone Info

Tap the new shortcut and scroll down to:

3g-setting01.png

Tap the box where you see WCDMA referred

3g-setting02.png

Select GSM only

You can restore 3G by opening the shortcut again and selecting WCDMA preferred

this does work as I have tried and tested it over the last 2 weeks with no issues and other have reported success as well. Results may vary from phone to phone ....

Results may vary from phone to phone ....i had originally posted my find on various forums as a means to let people know of a way to access the EDGE and 3G menus since AT&T had so inconveniently disabled this feature (they also did this when they released the Blackberry Bold) in the main Settings menu.

Reactions: james27007
Upvote 0
What's the advantage to disabling 3G? is it related to battery drain?

In areas with a weak 3G signal the phone continually seeks to find a signal sucking battery life. This is because the software is written to favor a weak 3G signal over a strong edge signal. Not just on the B1ackflip, but on many phones, users find that turning off 3G in some areas saves battery life.

Reactions: jpwarrior
Upvote 0
I can see the screen, but I can't toggle it to GSM only, it's always showed as WCDMA preferred!!!!!

This is from this thread at backflipforums.com as posted by juggalonation75

You can turn off 3G by creating a shortcut with the app Any Cut. Here are the steps:

• Run Any Cut
  • Select New Shortcut
  • Select Activity
  • Scroll down and select Phone Info

Tap the new shortcut and scroll down to:

3g-setting01.png

Tap the box where you see WCDMA referred

3g-setting02.png

Select GSM only

You can restore 3G by opening the shortcut again and selecting WCDMA preferred

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones