Disable auto-mount SD card when hooking up to PC

Last Updated:

1. philipwelch4

philipwelch4 Member This Topic's Starter

I hope this question hasn't been addressed before; I've tried searching google but I may not be searching with the right keywords:

My Droid (running NexFro 1.01 - about to install BB with NexFro in ~20 mins) has been automatically mounting my SD card to my PC since installing Froyo last Saturday. I didn't have this feature enabled before flashing to Froyo, and I've tried a few roms since Saturday and they all have this feature auto-enabled.

This normally wouldn't be an issue, but this week I have been traveling with my job and I have been using tethering quite a bit, and would like to be able to charge my phone from my laptop without mounting my SD card every time.

Is there a way to disable this feature? Also I'm not sure that it is a feature at this point, as I haven't seen any other forum posts about this one any of the Android forums and I can't be the only person who doesn't want this feature enabled by default.

Sorry for the long-winded post, I have trouble writing anything that isn't a few paragraphs long.

Thanks in advance!

--Philip

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

For me it does not automatically mount. I still have "USB Connected. Select to copy files to/from your computer" to mount the SD card up in the notification bar.

Yours is actually mounting without you telling it to?

3. cookiemonster79

cookiemonster79 Well-Known Member

Do you have doubleTwist installed? It has an option to automatically enable USB drive mode, and it is on by default.

4. bgish3

bgish3 Well-Known Member

hahaha youre a genius i completely forgot i had that app and i had the same question

5. philipwelch4

philipwelch4 Member This Topic's Starter

Problem solved, thanks cookiemonster79.

6. captaincanada84

captaincanada84 Well-Known Member

Yeah I had this same problem and figured out that it was DoubleTwist that was doing it a couple days ago.

7. RocknSteve

RocknSteve Well-Known Member

Dude, seriously. I don't know how to thank you. This problem has been driving me INSANE over the past week. Couldn't figure it out. And here you are, my friggin hero. Lol. Thanks so much!

8. MurrayBowles

MurrayBowles Member

I don't have Double Twist installed, but I still get the "USB Connected" popup. I can touch Back and it goes away without doing a mount, but the popup is still irritating, and I don't find a disable setting in Froyo.

9. valewalker

valewalker New Member

Thanks CookieMonster

10. DroidGnome

DroidGnome Well-Known Member

Ok in case someone else has this issue and ends up here.. there is another app that has this same 'auto-mount' setting enabled by default: WINAMP (by Nullsoft).

You might want to check and see if you have WinAMP installed if you have this issue.

11. sigz024

sigz024 New Member

I had both installed, uninstalled doubleTwist and still didn't fix it. WinAMP was the second culprit. Thanks for posting that extra tidbit - it was driving me crazy.

Edit: just noticed the "thanks" button. Would've been faster than a whole other post. Sorry 'bout that. /blush

I iz n00b.

12. Amorphis

Amorphis New Member

Thanks DroidGnome , I was about to throw my N1 against the wall .

13. AsadAhmad

AsadAhmad New Member

Problem solved! I mostly charge the phone using the usb cable and this was driving me insane. Not only the time needed for the remounts, there are application compatibility problems as well. Thanks mate!

14. lebac

lebac New Member

If Winamp is your problem, you can still keep it. Just make sure that 'enable auto-mount' option in settings is disabled.