1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Disable Auto-Wake for Screen

Last Updated:

1. DriverMR

DriverMR Member This Topic's Starter

This seems to be a simple thing, but I just can't find any way to do this.

All I want is a way to disable the screen's auto-wake. For example, if an appointment chimes, or if a call comes in... whatever... I want to prevent my phone (HTC EVO 4G) from turning on the screen and accepting touch input. I want it to wait until I hit the power button.

Obviously, I still want the ringer and vibrate to function normally... I mainly want to prevent mis-fires due to the phone being in my pocket and this seems like the simplest way to do it, I just don't see this option available, neither in the OS nor in any available apps.

Has no one ever wanted this functionality before??? Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    DriverMR

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

You cannot misfire unless you use your hands. Capacitive touchscreens do not work with anything but your hands or special styli.

3. DriverMR

I beg to differ.. When my phone is in my front jeans pockets, I get misfires frequently. The cloth lining of the pocket is thin enough that it senses touches from my leg. The biggest annoyance is calendar alarms wake the screen and there is a snooze button that doesn't require a "slide"... the alarm hits snooze before I can get the phone out of my pocket. Then, 5 minutes later it rings again.... and if I'm not careful, I'll hit snooze again and have to wait another 5 minutes.

I need a solution to the question of disabling the auto-wake if anyone has one.

4. Neo31697

Neo31697 Member

my hero does that too and irronicly enough only to people i don't want to talk to lol.

5. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

I don't know how to disable the screen on, but you could always:

1) Get a case that not only protects your phone but also covers the screen. I use a slip on pouch type case for when I put my phone in my pocket or bag. I don't like having a case on my phone when in use, so this works for me.

2) Put your phone in your pocket with the screen facing out?

3) Wear underwear? Buy some higher quality pants?

6. Krabapell

Krabapell Member

If you are rooted, you can modify the keyboard layout to "not wake" every time the hardware buttons are touched. I modified my layout such that the screen only wakes when I press the MENU button. The display even remains off even when I turn up/down the volume.

7. DriverMR

Thanks for the creative ideas... but I'm looking for either a procedure or an app without rooting.

What's the best way to suggest this idea to developers?

8. BarryConner

BarryConner New Member

The auto wake-up feature of a smart phone seems like one of the stupidest ideas to come along -- and dangerous to the integrity of the phone and its contents. And these exist alongside the most elaborate layers of 'protection' against actually activating and using a phone for any real work. I've been looking for something to remedy either problem for awhile, but it reached critical mass for me when I pulled the phone out of the inside pocket of my leather coat to find that, not only was it AWAKE, but it had navigated from my home screen into Marketplace, selected, and begun INSTALLING an app!!! Enough is enough, already! I TOTALLY AGREE!!! Give me a ringtone or a chime when I get a phonecall or message, but LET ME DECIDE when to activate the screen and enter touchkeys. And yes Captivate WILL read pocket noise as key entry. Does it daily.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

I would think it depends on the app you are using, for example GO SMS has an option to not wake the screen for new SMS I believe.