Tips Disable Data when Roaming

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by james27007, Mar 10, 2010.

1. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye
    VIP Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    I am going to Canada in a few weeks and with calls running $0.79/min; sms at $0.50ea, mms at $1.30ea and data at $0.015/kb, data can get expensive, especally if you have motoblur working and everything turned on. So my question is...

If I un-check Background Data (Settings --> Google synchronization --> [ ] Background Data) and un-check Roaming (Settings --> Wireless controls --> Mobile network settings --> [ ] Data roaming) does anyone know if my phone will still connect with my knowing; or is unchecking those two options enough? I called AT&T 3 times and the techs there are useless and have no idea how to work this phone.

I was just going to check 2g only and delete the APN; but those options are not available. It is to the point where I am going to disconnect my gmail, e-mail and motoblur account info to be sure.

Advertisement
  2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye
    VIP Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    Here is an update for anyone interested. When you un-check Roaming (Settings --> Wireless controls --> Mobile network settings --> [ ] Data roaming), this will kill your data (not WiFi) connection when roaming. Also in another forum I found Quick Settings it will also kill data as well.

==========================================================

Plus I was able to get google voice. Using that and sipDroid, as long as I have a WiFi connetion, I can now make free calls to all of the US and Canada while I am anywhere in the world. :D

You can find more on that here: [GUIDE] SIPdroid & Google Voice setup (updated 3-12-2010) - xda-developers