Disable Facebook Contacts in Phonebook?Support

Last Updated:

1. JP24

JP24 Member This Topic's Starter

This seems to be a very annoying feature if there is not a way to disable it (and I can't find one). I have my google contacts all set up and they are the only things I want in my phone book. I know in "people" I can just show google, but when I got to dial a number, all of my facebook friends with numbers show up too. For some reason they are showing up in my google contacts too (when I log into gmail on my computer). It is nice how the facebook picture syncs with my contacts, but that is all I want, not everyone on else facebook who are not in my google contacts. Anyone run into this and figure out how to fix it?

Advertisement
  2. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

No, there is no way to filter contacts out of the dialer list. Not sure why they're showing in your Gmail account...

I don't know why everyone is so concerned with what shows up there. Most times it will just display your call history at the top of the list. If you need to view your contacts, just use the People app.

3. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

did you tell facebook not to sync contacts?

4. fliptwister

fliptwister Well-Known Member

This was an issue with 2.1 on the Eris as well. It drove me nuts. I called one of my "friends" from grade school that I had not talked to in 30 years early one morning...very awkward. I ended up using "people" to make my non-dialer calls. I believe if you do not link your contacts this will not happen. I have been in Facebook app and I have not linked and have unchecked automatic sync and it has not happened. I'm not going to link my contacts with Facebook or have it sync..

5. donotronix

donotronix Member

i think it might be that some people are annoyed by having a part of their phone polluted by a hundred phone numbers they have no intention of ever dialing.

6. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Then you have 2 choices:

1. Don't use the contact list in the dialer
    2. Don't sync with FB

7. donotronix

donotronix Member

you're right. it is absurd to think you should be able to choose if you want to import phone numbers from facebook or not. you should instead choose to not use one of two functions on your phone at all.

8. jo28

jo28 Member

Try removing your Facebook account from your phone. Uncheck "auto sync". Add your Facebook account back to your phone. Then in Facebook settings uncheck "sync contacts." After that go back and turn auto-sync back on.

9. matt_wong

matt_wong Member

Yes I found this really annoying. I dont want all of my facebook contacts in my phonebook. I'm going to try jo28s suggestion.

10. jprow507

jprow507 Well-Known Member

Sorry I have been looking for a way to do this as well and haven't found anything

11. WPerry66

WPerry66 Active Member

I tried it too..

Downside is that if you tell Facebook not to sync contacts you can no longer link your Google contacts to their Facebook profiles.

Oh well, it's pretty obvious that there are serious issues with the Facebook app, hopefully they can sort them out soon with some updates or something.

12. rgr555

rgr555 Well-Known Member

Maybe your problem is having too many strangers as facebook friends

chufly29 and mryark83 like this.
  13. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, there is no reason to have your facebook account setup for Sense if you arren't going to have the contacts show up in the contacts list. You can go into Settings > Accounts & Sync and delete "Facebook for Sense" and the widget will still work and the android FB app wills till work.

14. axel_2078

axel_2078 Well-Known Member

I'm confused by the whole Facebook on this phone. There's the FB app, a Facebook widgit (which does what exactly?), and two different facebook account setups, one with Sense and one without. What does setting these up actually do that's different from the FB app?

15. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

I've never configured just a FB sync account. But FB for HTC Sense is what the People app uses to sync contacts and status updates.

The FB app is completely separate from the sync account.

The FB widget allows you to update your status and read other's status updates.

Page 82 of the User Guide.

axel_2078 likes this.
  16. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

The widget sits on one of those 7 screens in Sense, showing the latest status update and letting you flick through them.

Just turn the sync account off and you will be good to go.. I was struggling with this too (thanks NKT for your 15 responses to help me figure this mess out :) )

17. jeffinity

jeffinity New Member

It's annoying to go through my droid's phone contact list and see names of childhood friends, obviously from facebook.

I deleted the facebook app from my droid and only access facebook through the web browser. Facebook automatically realizes it's a mobile device and sets itself up rather nicely, without syncing or anything like that.

After a year of using my droid, and with the contact list now up to the hundreds, I am not enjoying the extra steps involved in searching for a contact nor am I enjoying when I unintentionally touch on a contact.

To remedy this, I'm trying the following experiment and am having success.

1. Hand type a contact list into a google doc.
    -This makes my list available almost anywhere.
    -It's only tedious the first time.

2. Go to the google docs on the droid and find your document.
    -It's a smart phone! When I touch a 7 or 10 digit number on the document
    it brings it over to the dialer, automatically!
    -Make a quick-link to that document on the home screen.
    -This is actually working quite well! I will continue my experiment...

3. When done, delete my droid's contact list down to the essential contacts.
    The other, rarely-used contacts will always be available on my google document.
    (never to be accidentally dialed again, never to have to scroll through, again!)

18. TWBartleman

TWBartleman New Member

I had to help one of my friends to fix this problem and there is a very simple way of doing it.

Go to the Facebook app on the app screen and it should load a news feed. Press the back button followed by the list button (both buttons located below the screen in case you don't know which ones I'm talking about). Click on Settings and scroll down to Sync Contacts. Change it to "Sync with existing contacts", click OK and go back to your phones home screen.

Go to Settings, Accounts & Sync, Facebook for HTC Sense and Remove Account. This should remove all the unwanted contacts. Then click Add account, select the Facebook for HTC Sense, and it should sync all your give you notifications for all the possible contacts that could be linked with facebook. The ones that don't get linked should be linked manually. Also make sure your Auto-sync is on.

Hope this helps!