1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Disable Gallery delete button

Last Updated:

1. mrmoreland

mrmoreland New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

Im not sure if this is in the correct area, I hope so.

I am looking for an form of app or mod that can disable the delete button for deleting photos in my gallery.

The miss's keeps going into my gallery and deleting the pics, I dont want to hide the photos or completely change the pin to my phone, if possible id like her to have access but not be able to delete.

I have googled but not found anything, all the apps seem to completely lock access to the gallery out and hide pics, thats not what i want to acheive.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

MrMoreland

Advertisement
  2. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

I don't think you're going to find any program already made that lacks a delete function.

Hide or lock programs are your best bet.

I know you can put all your wife unfriendly pics in a folder and put a "." in front of the folder so Gallery won't scan it.

3. mrmoreland

sorry no,

the point is I dont have any wife unfriendly pics, I want the miss's to still be able to view the pics, but when she presses delete to delete the pic, I would like a prompt to enter a password....

could any one point me in the right direction?

4. lennyjew

Is you're phone rooted?

I only ask because even if you find a program that passwords prompts before deletion (which I'm not aware of any) she's still going to have access to the stock gallery program.

All the media protection apps I'm aware of hide or password protect them from being seen, not deleted but able to view.

5. lennyjew

Why is she deleting the pics anyway? Seems rather odd that you'd have to go to such lengths to not have her delete pics she's ok with seeing. If asking her not to didn't work, why give her the phone again so she can delete more?

6. mrmoreland

the phone isnt trooted no,

she just see's pics of herself and decides she doesnt like them n deletes them.

7. mrmoreland

Out of interest, If I root my phone am I able to chmod the pictures so I am no longer the owner of the file? and remove my permissions other then read?

Would that work?

8. jojaz17

jojaz17 New Member

I totally understand this! My daughter is the same way, deletes pix of herself and family vacation pix that I would say are great of us all.
    Now I have the opposite problem. Some of the pix in my gallery, ones that I uploaded from Picassa I can not delete and I don't want them in there anymore. I can select the pix but when I go down to delete, the word delete is gone......how do I get rid of those?

9. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

You cannot, and should not, expect technology to fix your social shortcomings.

1) Don't give your someone access to your phone / your computer / your login if you don't want them deleting things.

(In the case of your kids, tell them that they no longer have the privilege of playing Angry Birds on your phone anymore because you found them deleting files without permission. Tell them to save their own money so they can buy and pay for their own phone, as they aren't allowed to use yours anymore! How about doing some parenting, instead of looking for apps to do it for you???)

2) Backup your photos or any other important files regularly, in case you (or someone else) accidentally deletes them.

Lookout can be set to automatically backup your photos to your online account. I'm sure there are other apps as well.

On your PC, you can use TrueCrypt (a free encryption program) to create encrypted "containers" and securely lock your files.

I then take the entire "container" file and back it up regularly to a separate hard drive.

10. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

If your photos were uploaded "to" Picassa, you will probably need to login to Picassa and delete them. I believe the Gallery app only stores a low res thumbnail of the image on your phone, and then downloads the full photo if you actually want to open it. (That seems to be the case on my phone.) So you can't delete the full photo from the phone.