• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disable Lock Screen

OK, I was playing around and set up the lock screen on my TP. While this could potentially be a nice feature, I decided it was more cumbersome than helpful.

Despite going through the security menu and seeing the settings for disabling the lock screen, which are grayed out, I simply can't find a way to disable it.

Am I just missing something?

Dan

If your Screen Lock option under Screen Security has greyd OUT " NONE , SLIDE & Face Unlock option then simply go to --- > Settings ---> go to Security --> scroll down to the last option Clear Credentials Press OK and you will have all the options back in screen lock.

Upvote 0
I tried installing a CA cert to receive my company emails and this greyed out the "Screen lock: None" option with the message "disabled by administrator encryption policy..."on my HTC One X. Here is what I tried.

1) I immediately removed the certificates I had just installed, the issue was not resolved.
2) Thought a reboot of the phone would help but even that didn't work.
3) Under Settings => Security => Credential Storage, there is a button to "Clear Credentials". I clicked on that praying that none of the System credentials would be wiped out. It is a new phone, so I didn't mind resetting to factory settings anyway. Looks like the System credentials are still there and my problem has been resolved. I hope this helps someone out there.

Upvote 0
recently they changed to microsoft exchange at work, and when I tried to add my new work email account on my CM9-touchpad, it asked me if it was ok to modify the security settings, as in password unlock, and encryption. I declined, and added the email account as a generic account (no calendar/phonebook integration, etc). Small price to pay for freedom... yours may be a similar issue...

Upvote 0
OK, I was playing around and set up the lock screen on my TP. While this could potentially be a nice feature, I decided it was more cumbersome than helpful.

Despite going through the security menu and seeing the settings for disabling the lock screen, which are grayed out, I simply can't find a way to disable it.

Dan
I just managed to resolve this on my S3 after looking for a solution in other forums:

This was the problem:
- Inserted a new SD card
- Formated the card
- Now I could not get any other unlock method to activate... not even after clearing the admin controls and credentials

And these are the steps I took to resolve it (In "Settings -> Security"):
- Encrypted the SD card (everything)
- Decrypted the SD card (again, everything)
- Made sure phone is decrypted again
- Done! unlock options became available again

Model: GT-I9300

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I just managed to resolve this on my S3 after looking for a solution in other forums:

This was the problem:
- Inserted a new SD card
- Formated the card
- Now I could not get any other unlock method to activate... not even after clearing the admin controls and credentials

And these are the steps I took to resolve it (In "Settings -> Security"):
- Encrypted the SD card (everything)
- Decrypted the SD card (again, everything)
- Made sure phone is decrypted again
- Done! unlock options became available again

Model: GT-I9300

Hope this helps!

It did! finally..., spend hours to fix this. The thought that inserting an SD card might block all this never crossed my mind. Simply encrypted/decrypted and all is well again.

Upvote 0

Dan

Do you have a nandroid backup that you made before you activated the lock screen? Restore it, all fixed! :p

Upvote 0
Figured it out.

I went into "Profiles" and looked at the settings. In the profile settings at the bottom is an entry for "System settings -Lock screen mode". You can choose several settings, one of which is disable.

Once I applied it, no more lock screen!

Again, thank to those who made suggestions!

Dan

Do you have a nandroid backup that you made before you activated the lock screen? Restore it, all fixed! :p

:turtle: :congrats:

Upvote 0
Also, you can download the app "Secure Settings" which has a function to disable the lock screen. I use mine in conjunction with Tasker, but you can use it as a stand-alone app with a widget:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin

How did you get this to work with Secure Settings? I've been trying to set up a task with to disable pattern lock when connected to a particular wifi, i.e. when I'm at home.

Even at Secure Settings "Guides" (Guides - Secure Settings), it says the following...
"Go to the Settings app
Set the lock type to "None""

All of my options are greyed out. I have cleared all credentials. I've enabled and disabled apps that were device administrators.

After clearing credentials, do I need to reboot or something?
I do use Widget Locker as my keyguard, but I do not have a password on there. It's just a swipe to unlock. If the phone is locked, I have to swipe, then password, to unlock.

Encryption/decryption sounds kind of scary. Not sure I want to go there.

I'm on a GS3 running CM 10.1.3, Android 4.2.2.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
I've just got into tasker and I thought I had it figured it out, or at least understood. This has me baffled.

Upvote 0
Trying to get my device back after Vodafone Mobile@Work has messed up my security settings.

problem: Screen Lock is stuck on pin with high security - have to use android qwerty keyboard to unlock - aargh. Also have encryption on sd card

attempted fixes:
removed sd card
No VPN setup
No exchange setup
Cleared all credentials
Cleared all device administrators
installed "secure settings" and that remains as device administrator. reports that the device lock is disabled - however it remains enabled.

..and unfortunately still no joy. Will resetting to factory defaults actually fix this? anything less drastic?

Upvote 0
Not sure I can help, but every now and then my phone gets stuck between settings. I use tasker to enable and disable the lock based upon different scenarios. The lock will be on, but because of the scenario I'm in, there is no actual password. When that happens, I hit my back button and the keypad goes away and I get the factory slider to unlock to the right.

Any chance you've got that?

Upvote 0
Trying to get my device back after Vodafone Mobile@Work has messed up my security settings.

problem: Screen Lock is stuck on pin with high security - have to use android qwerty keyboard to unlock - aargh. Also have encryption on sd card

attempted fixes:
removed sd card
No VPN setup
No exchange setup
Cleared all credentials
Cleared all device administrators
installed "secure settings" and that remains as device administrator. reports that the device lock is disabled - however it remains enabled.

..and unfortunately still no joy. Will resetting to factory defaults actually fix this? anything less drastic?

Do you have a backup you made before you got into this mess? If you do, go to recovery, do a factory data reset. Once you're done that restore that back up you made.

Upvote 0

Dan
Hello I did the following on my Xperia M2:

Go to settings>security>device administrators>unmarked all that are marked and then go back to >screen lock and you should be able to choose none or swipe.

hope it works for you as it worked for me.

cheers.

Upvote 0
I was able to clear it by going to "Security" then "clear credentials".

Same thing here.
Go to:
Settings/
Security/
Clear Credentials (tap)
When prompted: Do you want to Clear Security Credentials?
Tap: ☑ Yes

After Credentials have cleared, stay in the Security Settings Menu, scroll up to the top of the page and tap Screen Lock.
You'll need to input your Screen Lock password or PIN or pattern one final time.

When Screen Lock opens, all options will now be available. No more grey, unavailable items!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones