• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disable locking during calls ?

JoJoZ

Lurker
Oct 2, 2010
I just got my Vibrant yesterday & I mainly love it !

The one thing I DON'T love is that about 1 second after a phone call starts, it goes into power save/lock mode/black screen, and I have to press the power button to get the screen back. This is during a call. Yes, I have set the regular power save options to stay on longer (2 minutes) but this does not affect it DURING a phone call. The saleslady told me it's a "feature" to keep your face from accidentally touching the touchscreen and unintentionally ending a call.

I really wish I could have the darned screen STAY ON during phone calls. It's such a pain to be dealing with some voicemail system & having to "press 1 for this, press 2 for that", but the thing keeps turning off IMMEDIATELY & I have to keep pressing the power button.

Isn't there a way to change this setting ?

Thanks.

You are aware that the phone locks because of the Proximity Sensor? It should also unlock automatically when you take the phone away from your face.

I've never had to hit the power button to bring the screen back up; in fact I've never heard of that.

No problem here...the screen comes back on in pretty much the blink of an eye once I take it away from my face.

I don't know if there's any way to disable the sensor, but I came across this on xda, posted by antjomn:

"Not sure if it its rom specific but when I installed upsounddown in the market it disabled the proximity sensor. (flip speakerphone did as well). Give that a try."

UpSoundDown - Android app on AppBrain

Flip - Speakerphone - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
Well, you know, I JUST got the phone. At the time I posted the question, I'd never even heard of a proximity sensor. I learned about it afterwards while attempting to solve the issue. I've been trying to learn more about the phone as much has I can -- 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there, in between working. A little hard to tell what's "pertinent information" before one knows anything at all about the product. :p

Thank you for the links. I'll check them out.

Upvote 0
Well, you know, I JUST got the phone. At the time I posted the question, I'd never even heard of a proximity sensor. I learned about it afterwards while attempting to solve the issue. I've been trying to learn more about the phone as much has I can -- 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there, in between working. A little hard to tell what's "pertinent information" before one knows anything at all about the product. :p

Thank you for the links. I'll check them out.

LOL, okay, point taken. Good luck! :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones