Disable locking during calls ?Support

Last Updated:

1. JoJoZ

JoJoZ New Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my Vibrant yesterday & I mainly love it !

The one thing I DON'T love is that about 1 second after a phone call starts, it goes into power save/lock mode/black screen, and I have to press the power button to get the screen back. This is during a call. Yes, I have set the regular power save options to stay on longer (2 minutes) but this does not affect it DURING a phone call. The saleslady told me it's a "feature" to keep your face from accidentally touching the touchscreen and unintentionally ending a call.

I really wish I could have the darned screen STAY ON during phone calls. It's such a pain to be dealing with some voicemail system & having to "press 1 for this, press 2 for that", but the thing keeps turning off IMMEDIATELY & I have to keep pressing the power button.

Isn't there a way to change this setting ?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

You are aware that the phone locks because of the Proximity Sensor? It should also unlock automatically when you take the phone away from your face.

3. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

I've never had to hit the power button to bring the screen back up; in fact I've never heard of that.

No problem here...the screen comes back on in pretty much the blink of an eye once I take it away from my face.

I don't know if there's any way to disable the sensor, but I came across this on xda, posted by antjomn:

"Not sure if it its rom specific but when I installed upsounddown in the market it disabled the proximity sensor. (flip speakerphone did as well). Give that a try."

UpSoundDown - Android app on AppBrain

Flip - Speakerphone - Android app on AppBrain

4. JoJoZ

Well, it's not because of the proximity sensor, because I'm using a headset. So the phone is not up to my face.

5. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

That is what I call "pertinent information." You may want to consider posting pertinent info in future posts requesting help. You may want to try Flip or UpSoundDown then.

6. JoJoZ

Well, you know, I JUST got the phone. At the time I posted the question, I'd never even heard of a proximity sensor. I learned about it afterwards while attempting to solve the issue. I've been trying to learn more about the phone as much has I can -- 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there, in between working. A little hard to tell what's "pertinent information" before one knows anything at all about the product. :p

Thank you for the links. I'll check them out.

7. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

LOL, okay, point taken. Good luck! :cool:

8. JoJoZ

Thanks ! :D Both my husband and I got the Vibrant, and we love them.

9. petroleum

petroleum New Member

MY GOD thank you. I was like why the hay is my phone locking during calls? I realized it was because I put a sticker over the sensor. I'm an idiot. LOL

10. CuLaytAh

CuLaytAh New Member

my screen doesn't turn on when i pull the phone away from my face. is there another solution?