Disable "read/unread" syncing with gmailSupport

Last Updated:

1. Raryn

Raryn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Would it be possible to disable the syncing of "read" status between my phone and my gmail inbox?

On my blackberry, when an email was pushed, I would read it, but it wouldn't be marked as read in my inbox itself. I liked that because then I would know I had to address the email when I was next at a computer. I don't always have time to send a reply from my phone right when I get an email, but I like being able to look at it on my phone without it getting marked as "read" everywhere.

Is my only option to add a gmail account via POP3 instead of IMAP? I tried that and didn't like it because then none of my gmail filters work, and messages that would normally just be archived end up getting forwarded via POP. I dealt with that on the BB by setting up filters on the BIS side, but I can't do that here if I just tell the droid to just fetch all the email via POP as it comes in.

Is there any way to keep the filters in place but not have read status synced?

Advertisement
  2. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Yes. Just mark the GMAILs you've read, but want to address later, as "MARK AS UNREAD". You can do this IN the email as you're reading, by clicking the MENU button OR you can do it as a batch job in the email list view. Just check the ones you want to mark and click Menu, then click MARK AS UNREAD.

They'll be marked unread when you go to them on a computer.

3. Raryn

Raryn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There's no way to just permanently unsync the read/unread status? I can do it one email at a time, its just tedious.

4. BookLover

Not natively.

Maybe you can get Tasker to do this.

I sometimes just STAR the emails, as I read them, if they need attention later, then I don't have to click the menu.

As I said, you can BATCH the MARK AS UNREAD by going to the email list and checking all the ones you want to mark and then click the Menu button. Saves you a few clicks, but you'll still have to it manually unless you figure out a way for Tasker to take care of it for you.

5. BookLover

Just started trialing K9 Mail.

It has a select all feature and to do the mark/unmark.

Maybe you can try that. It's free.

It combines your gmail/non-gmail accounts into one universal inbox for reading, but lets you also easily go to the separate accounts from the same interface. I had been resisting trying it, but so far I think it's better than Gmail...and definitely better than the stock email app.