• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Disable Startup Sound

Pojken

May 5, 2010
Heya,

So, I got Visionary to root and all is good. Now, I want to replace the startup sound, but every thing I've tried seems to fail. Using Root Explorer, I renamed the two files (/system/customize/resource/android_audio.mp3 and /system/media/audio/ringtones/QuietlyBrilliant.mp3), I've replaced them with other mp3 files (renamed).

However, at boot up, the sound stays and the files are replaced or something.

I've read elsewhere to put it in /data/local and will try that, but anyone have a clue as to why this happens and what can be done? I am sure there is some replacement files somewhere, but I can't locate them.

Thanks,

Tim

p.s. I know about Silent Boot, but I just want a more permanent solution.

Oh, and another thing - I uninstalled a few of the extra applications using Titanium (Amazon MP3, Twitter, HTC Hub and such), but they now reappear. Should I just delete the apk files in the root directories? Will that adversely affect the startup?

Thanks,

Tim

Upvote 0
If you're perm rooted you could do this and remove the apks via adb. Are you familiar with adb?

Sounds like both issues are due to dalvik cache.

If you touch my name and look.for threads created by me, look for one called "how to easily remove system apps".

Whilst doing this, when you are still in adb shell;

Type exit and press enter.

Type adb push "c:\android_audio.mp3 /system/customize/resource/android_audio.mp3" and press enter. Thus will push android_audio.mp3 to the directory. Assuming it is on your c drive

Reactions: Pojken
Upvote 0
I'm using LeeDroid and have a somewhat different issue with android_audio.mp3. I've used ES File Explorer under root to rename /system/customize/resource/android_audio.mp3 to ...mp3.bak, but the (sorry) horrible boot sound in LeeDroid doesn't go away. Looking at the file using ES File Explorer after a reboot it shows the .bak extension as I would expect. What I also find odd is that file is 0 (zero) bytes long, I thought it contained the boot-up sound. What's the secret?

Ooops! Found out myself. There is an android_audio.mp3 file in /data/local that I hadn't seen before because ES File Explorer didn't have root authority at the time. Renaming this file cured the problem and the sound is now gone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones