Disabling GPS is it really necessary?General

Last Updated:

1. rhippler

rhippler Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have seen allot of posts stating that you should disable the GPS to save battery. I may be mistaken but if no apps are actively requesting positional data is it not off? I have mine set to on and it does not even register on the battery usage screen.

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

That's right hippler. I leave GPS on at all times.

3. AcePuppy

AcePuppy Well-Known Member

You'll save alot of battery time, but I leave it on at all times, otherwise the phone is almost acting like a brick and is just a phone.

4. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Actually you will not save any battery time. GPS is not the same as 3g/wifi/BT. The GPS does not remain on in an idle when not in use...GPS shuts completely off.

Infact, even when running an app that uses GPS, the GPS will turn on and off while the app runs, only updating when the program asks. Obviously for some things like navigation this can be most if not all the time, but others like google goggles only uses the GPS occasionally.

Turning the GPS off is only to prevent a running app from attempting to use the GPS.

5. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I leave GPS on always and get fair battery life. It only kicks on when an app needs it, which is rarely.

6. The Antagonist

The Antagonist Active Member

Same here. Always on, but the active indicator only shows when an app is using it.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

I use my adv. task killer button on the regular but leave GPS on...I'm getting right around 12-13 hours a day between charges...I can live with that, no prob.

8. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

I leave GPS, internet and all of that stuff on. If I need to cripple my phone to the point where I don't have what I want at my fingertips, I don't need a smartphone at all. Yeah maybe my battery won't last as long as the next man, but I don't want to deal with the hassle.

axel_2078 likes this.
  9. axel_2078

axel_2078 Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I feel too.

10. Moe

Moe Member

I too believe that it not necessary to disable GPS.

11. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

Seriously, I mean some people go overboard IMO. There are many times where I want to fire up Google Maps on the spot and start searching and stuff. I don't want to have to turn GPS on and all of this stuff just to do that. I got a smartphone to have everything I need at my fingertips and instantaneous.