Disabling phone for travel abroadSupport

Last Updated:

1. meatweaver

meatweaver Member This Topic's Starter

I'm going to be traveling to S Korea and Japan next week. I'd like to use my DInc for wireless data when I have a wireless network available, but I don't want to get hit with any $100 roaming or international use fees. I think what I can do is turn airplane mode on while I'm abroad, and then enable wifi on top of airplane mode whenever I need it.

Does anyone have any experience with this/know if it will work?

Advertisement
  2. killadanny

killadanny Well-Known Member

I think Airplane Mode disables everything.

Nevermind, yeah it works! :D

3. technikal

technikal New Member

I don't know about Korea, but the cdma based incredible won't function ota in Japan. Cdma is pretty much North America only.

4. Smartphone

Smartphone Well-Known Member

I have been to Cancun, Canada, and Bahamas with my Incredible. Each time I go out of the country, I call Verizon and have them put me on the International Data plan for the time that I will be out of the country. I only costs an extra $7-8 for an entire week. If there is coverage in the countries that you are traveling to, I suggest you consider this an option.

5. technikal

technikal New Member

Actually looks like I'm wrong. There is cdma roaming in some parts of Japan now. I was in Tokyo earlier this year and did not notice service, though.

As mentioned, you can use airplane mode to turn off all radios, then turn WiFi back on.

6. cman8882

cman8882 Member

I just was in Europe a month ago and had it in airplane mode the whole time. I was still able to connect to wifi when there was a connection, no problem. Just make sure airplane mode is checked, and to be safe I would turn off mobile network too. You can actually make calls over wifi via Fring, and text over wifi via google voice, all for free.

7. meatweaver

meatweaver Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone. Great tips. The chick at the Verizon store wasn't very helpful: all of the advice she was giving me was going to cost me money.

PS> cman, Great idea to use google voice to send texts while I'm away.