Disabling Shutter Sound?Support

1. moebob24

moebob24 Member

Haven't been able to find this kind of post for an EVO 3D.

I have heard that there is some law regulating that the cameras of cell phones must produce a sound when taking a picture.

So, is there a way to disale the shutter sound?
    (also, I want to be able to do this on a non-rooted stock EVO 3D of that is possible.)

Advertisement
    :
  2. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

open camera, press menu, and uncheck shutter sound
    shadders139 likes this.
  3. moebob24

moebob24 Member

I have no option for that when I open the menu.
  4. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

the rom i am running does not have the modded camera, what options do you have in the menu? did u try to scroll through?
  5. moebob24

moebob24 Member

Timer
    White Balance
    ISO
    resolution
    Auto focus
    Auto enhance
    Geo-tagging
    Grid

Nothing about shutter sounds though
  6. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

have you taken all otas?
  7. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

Camera shutter sound - Android Forums
    if you follow this thread, it looks as if with the latest ots it disables the ability to turn off the shutter sound. do you hear the sound if volume is in silent?
  8. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

I'm glad you made a topic for this MoeBob. I've been meaning to break this out to its own topic for a few weeks but life goes on. We have a topic for when the update rolled out and there was some side chatter about the camera shutter sound, but it has never gotten the attention it deserves. (see topic)
    I've found out through my contact with HTC that with the newest system update, that gave us 2.3.4, HTC has purposefully removed the option to turn off the shutter sound for the camera. I've included my posts for your reading:

Don't hesitate to contact HTC on this. We can still get them to turn this ship around and fly straight.
  9. moebob24

moebob24 Member

I hope that this does get changed. I hate when I don't have full control over the sounds my phone makes. Especially when I'm on class trying to take a picture (that could be taken a few ways) and the shutter noise attracts attention.

Also, all this user control talk has me thinking about another suggestion.

I want to be able to change my notification tone to a custom one!!! I can change my ringtone all day but not my SMS/ everything else tone! I have a custom tone that I used on my Blackberry and when I got my 3VO I was excited to add that tone but then found out that I cannot alter it.

This topic is for a different thread however...
  10. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

Get a custom sound set use it then change the tones
    marctronixx likes this.
  11. chris20nyy

chris20nyy Active Member

Turn the main volume down on the phone, that will disable the shutter sound.
  12. PyroSporker

Unfortunately that method does not work for every person and every case. As stated by HTC, they designed the shutter sound to be on all the time and if your phone is operating any differently then it is not operating correctly. If your phone is not operating correctly, or if you want the power to make your own decision on whether to have a camera shutter sound or not, be sure to let HTC know.

I think this thread needs a poll, so people can weigh in on how they feel about camera shutter sounds. Maybe if enough people place their preference we can use it as evidence for giving user controlled shutter sound options.
  13. moebob24

moebob24 Member

We have already established that turning down the volume does not work.
  14. chris20nyy

chris20nyy Active Member

That sucks. Works for me everytime. If I have my ringer volume off or vibrate my shutter sound corresponds. Turn it back on and it's back, although it's not affected by the volume level. It's either full blast or not there.

Either way OP can try that to see if it works on his phone.
  15. themuffinman75

themuffinman75 Well-Known Member

I think it was a simple mistake that someone made before they sent out the last ota. I figure it will be something that will get fixed in the next ota, but for me personally I always leave my shutter sound off.
  16. PyroSporker

I hope I'm not misinterpreting what you are trying to say here but, there was no mistake. HTC has changed their policy regarding the camera shutter noise and have purposefully removed the option to disable the camera sounds for 2.3.4 and beyond. Currently there is a bug that allows some users to continue to not have camera sounds at all (strange settings import from 2.3.3), while some others have found they can somewhat enable and disable the camera sounds by adjusting the volume controls.

You state that you always keep the camera sounds off, however that option has recently been taken away from us. You may be fortunate enough to still be experiencing no shutter sound, or shutter sound that you can semi-control, but HTC has made it clear that is NOT how the software should be operating. Once you factory reset or clear the camera application data you will likely find that you will be stuck with permanent shutter sound, zoom noise, and focus beep.
    The only way we can preserve our right to turn off these sounds, which many find annoying, is to contact HTC and let them know en masse that we want our user control returned with our next update.

I implore everyone that reads this topic to Contact HTC as soon as possible and let them know that we would like camera sounds changed back to user control.

People can root their phone and remove these seemingly annoying sounds, people can also install other third party applications to silence the camera, but when it comes right down to it we should not have to. The option to turn off these sounds should not have been removed from our control and if we make a stand now we may be able to get this wrong righted.
    mich3lyn, scromlette and shadders139 like this.
  17. PyroSporker

Since it has been a few weeks since I have talked with HTC I decided to follow up and see where things are at with this, here was their response:

Even though the English is broken, I can no doubt translate that it sounds like they still need some more motivatin' ;)
  18. AndroidJim

AndroidJim Well-Known Member

Using root explorer, you can delete the shutter sound file
  19. CarrieK

CarrieK Well-Known Member

They must have named it to something pretty obscure. I located /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg, renamed it, rebooted, took a picture and the noise still occurred. Oddly enough, though, I took a screenshot and the shutter noise did NOT occur. I did searches under "shutter," "camera," and "click." Do you know of another file/location? I also thought about looking at the camera preferences file to see if perhaps I could edit it and disable it from there but I don't know if I want to do that much monkeying around... :rolleyes:
  20. PyroSporker

You could try replacing the file with a identical file that has no sound on it. Just a silent sound file with the same exact name.

Like you suspect there is probably another file somewhere. Someone might know the specific location. You could search XDA maybe. I'd find you the answer except that I am not near my PC.
  21. CarrieK

I did a search and for those of us who are rooted, here is the thread I found at XDA that has a flashable zip of the camera app with no shutter sound. It also has some other enhancements. I flashed and it works great :D

[TEAM XPOSED] [MOD] Remove shutter sound from 2.3.4 HTCCamera.apk - xda-developers
    DanielM426 and PyroSporker like this.
  22. PyroSporker

A Freeza thread. He is the greatest. I wonder if he still lurks around here.

I beg of those that are rooted and doing the easy hacks to disable the shutter sound to still email HTC and request them to give us our option back. Some of us can't/don't/won't root and still are looking for the best resolution straight from the HTC source.

I remember during the locked bootloader debacle months back that me and others, who aren't rooted and never will root, went to bat for the rooting community and asked HTC for our freedom of choice. I'm hoping this proves to be a two way street, and that the rooting community will help out in asking HTC for a change in shutter sound policy for the good of all HTC phone users. Like I've mentioned before this is not a huge deal, its just one of those ever annoying details that should not have been changed.
    mich3lyn and CarrieK like this.
  23. CarrieK

Done.
    PyroSporker likes this.
  24. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

I was just coming in here to remind people to do that. I've already sent my emails regarding it.
    PyroSporker likes this.
  25. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Is this an HTC thing cause my captivate and thrill allows me to silent the shutter