• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disabling Shutter Sound?

I was just coming in here to remind people to do that. I've already sent my emails regarding it.

Thanks Carrie and jd for your follow through, and thanks to everyone else that has sent in an email already.

Is this an HTC thing cause my captivate and thrill allows me to silent the shutter

This is a new HTC thing. According to their customer service they have recently changed a policy regarding camera sounds which now enforces them, forcing them to be on all the time in spite of the users personal opinion. I haven't checked on any recent new HTC phones to see if they follow this new policy but it might be something to look into.

Motorola have been forcing camera sounds for a while - although some of their phones are truly completely silent in silent mode. Samsung (Captivate) and LG (Thrill) must not have a policy for this yet. It may also vary depending on the carrier?

Upvote 0
sound off, or vibrate I still get the shutter sound on my evo 3d

Yeah, thats the source of frustration. If you don't like these forced sound effects, be sure to send HTC and email and let them know loud and clear that you want your choice back.

What strikes me as odd is that you can video tape with no noise or indication...

That is strange, I've never noticed that one. Probably because rarely have I used the video recording feature.

Upvote 0
My (EU) Evo 3D is running 2.3.4 out of the box but it has the option to switch off shutter sound so this must be a regional thing. By law some countries require a camera phone to make a noise to prevent certain types of photo being taken...

The thing is what if you are taking a photo, quite legitimately, where you need to be a quiet as possible? You should have the option to run silently

Upvote 0
They must have named it to something pretty obscure. I located /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg, renamed it, rebooted, took a picture and the noise still occurred. Oddly enough, though, I took a screenshot and the shutter noise did NOT occur. I did searches under "shutter," "camera," and "click." Do you know of another file/location? I also thought about looking at the camera preferences file to see if perhaps I could edit it and disable it from there but I don't know if I want to do that much monkeying around... :rolleyes:

More of this! For some reason, trying to find info about changing stuff in Android invariably leads to someone peddling an app when all I want is pathways and file names. I'd much rather edit things manually rather than install some bloated app that probably uses higher permissions than neccesary.

Now, since this pathway was mentioned and it looks like the camera's audio file, can anyone confirm before I make a blank replacement?

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by CarrieK
They must have named it to something pretty obscure. I located /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg, renamed it, rebooted, took a picture and the noise still occurred. Oddly enough, though, I took a screenshot and the shutter noise did NOT occur. I did searches under "shutter," "camera," and "click." Do you know of another file/location? I also thought about looking at the camera preferences file to see if perhaps I could edit it and disable it from there but I don't know if I want to do that much monkeying around...

More of this! For some reason, trying to find info about changing stuff in Android invariably leads to someone peddling an app when all I want is pathways and file names. I'd much rather edit things manually rather than install some bloated app that probably uses higher permissions than neccesary.

Now, since this pathway was mentioned and it looks like the camera's audio file, can anyone confirm before I make a blank replacement?

You need to be rooted to remove the correct sound files from the HTCCamera.apk in the system/app folder. Removing them from the directory CarrieK found will only get rid of the sound files that works for screenshots etc.

Here's how I got rid of the camera focusing, focused, camera beep and click sounds:

First, I made a backup just in case. With ES File Explorer I went to system/app and long pressed the HTCCamera.apk and selected extract to. I extracted to my SD card. Next I connected my phone to PC in disk drive mode and copied the extracted HTCCamera.apk to my computer. Then I changed the extension from .apk to .zip. After that is done it can be opened to view all the parts of the apk. Once opened navigate to res/raw and delete everything except rccountdown.ogg and recend.ogg. Once that is done go back and change HTCCamera.zip back to HTCCamera.apk. Put the modified HTCCamera.apk back on the SD card, copy it and paste it back in system/app. Tell it to overwrite/merge. After that is done, exit your file explorer and your camera app has likely disappeared from your app drawer and holding the camera button will not work either. Simply reboot the device and it should reappear and work as advertised, though it may be at the bottom or end of the app drawer.

Additionally if you want a silent screenshot, go to the directory CarrieK did above and remove the same files there. I left them so to keep an audio confirmation that a screenshot was taken.

Additional info here.
[TEAM XPOSED] [MOD] Remove shutter sound from 2.3.4 HTCCamera.apk - xda-developers

Disclaimer: Not my fault if this doesn't work for you, but it should if you are rooted as it did for me.

Upvote 0
I know this thread initially started a long time ago, but as it has recent posts I thought I would add a tip for those who do not have a rooted phone.

there is an app called "Mobile hidden camera" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zecurisoft.mhc1202). While the obvious intent of this app is somewhat nefarious, it does offer two bonuses for me.

1) no shutter sound with no rooting required.

2) multishot - one thing I missed with my HTC is the ability to multishot which this application has.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones