Disabling standard text messenger.

Last Updated:

1. rcarruba

rcarruba New Member This Topic's Starter

Have started using the handcent app for messenging, but cannot figure out how to turn off the app that came with the EVO 4G. Can anyone help with this, it is flustrating getting to messages everytime.

Advertisement
  2. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

3. paulrybicki83

paulrybicki83 Active Member

go into the messaging app then hit menu>setting. in setting uncheck 'auto retreive' and 'received notification'.

crystalship1 likes this.
  4. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Well-Known Member

I just installed handset and noticed that it works with the HTC messages widget even when stock Android notifications are turned off. So when I hit reply on the widget, it launches handcent....BUT when I try to compose a new message via the HTC widget, it launches Android messaging. Anyone know if its possible to bypass this and have the widget launch handset instead? I've tried fiddling with the settings but can't find anything.

5. RedhddOne

RedhddOne Active Member

Why not just remove the stock widget and replace it with the Handcent widget? That way when you click it to compose, it will start Handcent and not the stock messenger.

6. swazey

swazey Well-Known Member

press and hold the search button for about 2 seconds and it will prompt you to compose a new text. then just select the handcent icon. no need for widget or the icon

7. swazey

swazey Well-Known Member

if you dont do this step, you will get notifications for the stock messaging app and the handcent one. its very annoying. if you only want to use handcent, you MUST disable the notifications on the stock messaging app. the messages will appear in both apps, but you will only get notifications through handcent.

8. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

So is handcent a drop-in replacement for the embedded HTC Text Messaging app? I just remove/hide/disable that and install Handcent and away I go? It supports MMS and everything else just fine, huh?

9. Oridus

Oridus Well-Known Member

Correct, it's a far better application for text than the htc one. Mms works fine, been doing it all week, about 5 a day.