Disabling Talkback [SOLVED]General

1. hstroph

hstroph Well-Known Member

Perhaps some of you have enabled Talkback (Settings->Accessibility->Talkback {on}) and are wondering how to turn it off. Here's how:

1) Selections are made by long-tap then double-tap. Remember that, as you'll need it multiple times!
    2) Select the Home screen (Remember the select technique?)
    3) Select the app waffle-iron. (Remember?)
    4) Use two (2) fingers to swipe through to the Settings icon, then select it. (Yeah, that's the ticket ... I remember now!)
    5) Two-finger swipe to select Accessibility.
    6) Select Talkback.
    7) Select {on|off} toggle.
    8) Select confirmation "OK".

You're free! Free at last!

I spent about a half-hour on the phone with Google Support this morning, and it was as much of a mystery to them as it was to me, although I had spent a previous half-hour discerning the long-tap double-tap technique. Young Joe at Google helped tremendously by directing my attention to the app waffle (since nether of us could pull-down notifications), then the two-fingered swipe to get to the Settings icon.

Damn, that was a painful morning! Hopefully things will be easier now for anyone else who falls into Talkback-disable hell.

Advertisement
    :
  2. odhinn

odhinn Well-Known Member

Yes, I ran into that this morning experimenting with the spoken caller id. I just kept tapping what I needed until I finally got to where I could turn it off. What a PITA!
  3. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

It's got to be a bug right? There's no reason that accessibility should have such a negative impact on the accessibility of the features of the phone.
  4. hstroph

It certainly seems that it's a problem ... the Google Support guy named "Joe" was also flummoxed by it, but working together for about 1/2 hour we finally got it solved as described.

Maybe a person with partial or no vision would approach it in a different, perhaps more intuitive way? Certainly Google has many people working on the interface, at least some of whom are presumably sight-impaired.
  5. lion7718

lion7718 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this...I don't think I'll ever turn it on again.
  6. nishanthreddy7

nishanthreddy7 New Member

thanx for your advise, finally i disable talkback application by following your post
  7. sameera12

sameera12 New Member

This was so helpful.. thank you so much. I activated it by mistake and i thought i was doomed but i came across this post. I deactivated it within seconds - Thank you so much! :) God bless you!
  8. dmensch

dmensch New Member

OMG- thank you!
    I just installed Active Notifications and tripped over the Samsung bug activating talkback. I had NO idea what had happened nor how to fix it.
  9. PrakashL

PrakashL New Member

You saved me from bigggg problem. Last might night i activated talkback and i felt i was trapped!! :mad:
    Now after seeing ur post, i followed the same n turned off this app.

thanks a lot again!!
  10. hstroph

You're welcome, everybody. That illustrates the value of these forums when people share their experience with others. Of course the PHP-enabled database doesn't hurt either. :smokingsomb:
  11. AButeman

AButeman New Member

Many many thanks for this fix. I have an HP 7" slate and was just trying out all the features when the talkback feature I foolishly selected wouldn't shut up and allow me to switch it off!
    Can't thank you enough.
  12. Anthony Palmer

Anthony Palmer New Member

OMG! Almost lost my mind dealing with this! So pissed by the time I got to your post here, I almost forgot to toggle the green switch at the end. Thank you thank you thank you!
  13. sbabu1

sbabu1 New Member

14. SharonBailey5

SharonBailey5 New Member

OMG !!! Thank you!!! That was the most annoying thing EVER!!! Your instructions are clear and worked the first time.