• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disabling Volume Button

Just to clarify, the confirm dialog is the whole point of RingGuard, and is prominently mentioned in the description. If one wants volume changes to be ignored, then RingGuard just isn't the right app to use. Sigh, I've even gotten some 3-star ratings from users whose only complaint is that they don't like the confirm dialog, or they want it up for less than 5 seconds.

Upvote 0
I use Timeriffic to auto set the volumes based on times, but what I think is a problem is that the volume buttons override the Timeriffic settings.

The app is just called 'volulme control' and it's the one with the lady bug. I don't think it has a widget. It's just an app that runs and automatically turns your volume back to the specified setting everytime something tries to change it.

I'm going to check out RingGuard although this sounds like it also won't suit my needs. I want my app that automatically changes my volumes based on times to be allowed to change the volume.

Otherwise, I need one of these apps (Volume control or RingGuard) to add time-based profile changing. I'm just awful at remembering to change my phone back and forth between ring and vibrate.

Upvote 0
I use Timeriffic to auto set the volumes based on times, but what I think is a problem is that the volume buttons override the Timeriffic settings.

My App (Volume Locker) will let Timeriffic and a few other profiling apps like Locale, Setting Profiles, etc set the volume and still lock the volume buttons.

For locale you need the plugin "Locale Audio Update Notifier" as well.

Reactions: mansart
Upvote 0
My App (Volume Locker) will let Timeriffic and a few other profiling apps like Locale, Setting Profiles, etc set the volume and still lock the volume buttons.

Volume locker is smashing _except_ it doesn't co-operate with anything that allows me to set the phone to vibrate-only during meetings etc. and have the phone go back to noisy after a certain time (I'm currently using BuzzOff for this and it works well, but obviously Volume Guard intervenes when its trying to restore the volume).

Does Volume Locker cooperate with anything that does the same job as BuzzOff? I'd love to be wrong in my assertion above!

Mark

Upvote 0
Volume locker is smashing _except_ it doesn't co-operate with anything that allows me to set the phone to vibrate-only during meetings etc. and have the phone go back to noisy after a certain time (I'm currently using BuzzOff for this and it works well, but obviously Volume Guard intervenes when its trying to restore the volume).

Does Volume Locker cooperate with anything that does the same job as BuzzOff? I'd love to be wrong in my assertion above!

Mark

First make sure you've done this: Volume Locker>Service Settings>Allow apps to override. Make sure that box is checked.
Like he said, locale will do this as long as you also install the locale audio update plugin. All you'd need to do in locale was set a time condition with your start and end time (without repeats unless it's a standing thing) and presto! Of course locale is

Upvote 0
First make sure you've done this: Volume Locker>Service Settings>Allow apps to override. Make sure that box is checked.
Like he said, locale will do this as long as you also install the locale audio update plugin. All you'd need to do in locale was set a time condition with your start and end time (without repeats unless it's a standing thing) and presto! Of course locale is

Hi -- yes, I have that option enabled. The Locale approach isn't right for me -- in practice I walk into situations where my phone needs to be silent, and I then need to be able to quickly tell the phone to be vibrate-only for (say) the next hour.

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi there!

I just sent an email to you with specifics about the OpenIntent we listen on for volume changes which all our integrated apps utilize. Sadly we can't determine where the volume change is coming from (like app, user, system, camera, etc), so it's up to the app developer to incorporate the intent we listen on for it to be possible.

Feel free to forward that email to the BuzzOff dev, and I'm more than willing to help him get integrated with us. :D

Thanks!

Upvote 0

So far Volume Locker is doing just what I needed it to, keeping me from accidentally turning down the ringer/notification volume while at the same time allowing Setting Profiles to do its thing. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I've installed RingGuard. It's perfect except for one major flaw:
I use timed profiles (with "Phoneweaver"), making my phone silent at night and active again in the morning. But of course RingGuard prevents Phoneweaver from being able to make any changes to volume.

Has anyone come across anything similar to RingGuard, but with the ability to accept changes made by another app, or its own on/off times, or such?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones