disabling VZW Backup AssistantSupport

Last Updated: 2012-12-05 20:51:31
  1. rhart00

rhart00 Member

Any idea how I would disable and/or remove the Verizon backup assistant program from my Incredible? I have no use for it and don't want it backing up my contacts any longer. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Buckwild

Buckwild Well-Known Member

When you go thru the startup for the first time, it will ask you if you want to use it. Just select no and you're good to go. I didn't use it either.

Not sure about uninstalling it though. I'd assume the same way you would any other app.

Look into AppBrain once you get your phone setup, it's a great app management app and it lets you search and install (then sync) via their website.
  3. rhart00

rhart00 Member

I selected "Yes" but now realize I don't need it. Can figure out how to stop/remove it once it is already set up.
  4. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

You may be able to re-run setup (you can certainly do this if you do a factory reset). I know on the 2.1 leak for Eris, the setup app is on the All Programs screen.

Seems like you should be able to do it elsewhere as well though...
  5. magnum003

magnum003 Member

Do you have to use backup assistant to download all of your contacts from your previous phone? Once you've got the information in your contact list, it should be stored on Google's "Cloud network" so you'll never need to use backup assistant again...but how do you do it just once...and then forever forget backup assistant.
  6. jreagan

jreagan Active Member

I used the Backup Assistant to get my contacts. It isn't in the list of all programs. I think the phone was smart enough not to keep it around.

If I look at the running services, it isn't listed.
  7. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Check under Accounts & Sync.
  8. rhart00

rhart00 Member

Thanks for the responses. Backup Assistant is running in the background, and even when task kill it, it eventually goes back to running in the background.

I can't figure out how to turn it off once I have it running. It shows under Accounts & Sync, but unlike all the other accounts there, it has no option to "Remove Account".

Any other suggestions?
  9. crackers8199

crackers8199 Well-Known Member

it could be useful for if you ever need to go back to a dumbphone for any length of time...if your incredible breaks while waiting for a replacement, for example.
  10. redtwo

redtwo Member

i am interested in removing it as well. it was a mistake to include it during setup and now i have too many duplicate contacts for linking. i would love to know how to re-setup the contacts just from google if possible,
    DieselBDC likes this.
  11. redtwo

redtwo Member

well i just did factory reset since i was not that far into customization. skipped vzw backup assistant and now contacts are more reasonable. i suggest this if you can handle resetting everything.
  12. rhart00

rhart00 Member

Any other routes that people would recommend? I hate to have to hard reset my unless is absolutely necessary
  13. longdaddy

longdaddy Well-Known Member

+1 Also would like to know this
  14. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I'm on the same boat. I want to disable it, without having to clear out my phone
  15. snuggles

snuggles Well-Known Member

same, help!!!!!!!!!! many duplicate contacts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Tweaked Halo

Tweaked Halo Member

I had the same problem. Had to hard reset to get rid of it. That was total crap... :mad:
  17. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

Settings > Accounts & Sync seems like it will let you remove it..

I am not sure what it even does though?? Can anyone fill me in?
  18. b8b

b8b Member

Apparently, it does not.
  19. nanathegeek

nanathegeek Member

I don't know how to disable Backup Assistant (wish I did!), but if you have multiple contact entries due to syncing with BA and Google (or more - those are the only ones I have), I think you can delete them. In contacts open the menu, select view and uncheck one or more of the options.
  20. OnPointPro

OnPointPro New Member

There may be other ways to disable backup assistant, but follow these steps to remove duplicate contacts and backup assistant without having to factory reset. Please be aware that I just tinkered around until I got the desired result. I'm no expert and I have no idea if this effects the phone in any other way. I did this over the weekend and everything is working perfectly on my phone. So proceed at your own risk, I don't want to get any pm's about how your phone blew up. I'm just trying to help out here.

1) Be sure to have all your contacts backed up to your Gmail account. Check online before proceeding to step 2.

2) Log into your My Verizon account. Go to the contacts tab, sort by list view and select all contacts. Delete the entire list. There's a deleted contacts tab as well. Select that and delete anything that's in there.

3) Go into your Incredible settings tab, select applications, manage applications. Do not sort or filter, allow list to populate. Select Sync Service, (icon resembles backup assistant icon) select clear data.

4) Also in manage applications scroll down to backup assistant, select clear data. This should do it.

5) To verify backup assistant is now disabled, select settings, accounts and sync, then under manage accounts, select backup assistant. You should be looking at a license agreement screen.

No more backup assistant, no factory reset.
  21. ambrandon

ambrandon New Member

Thanks! This worked for me. I synced up to backup assistant and then realized it was not updating correctly and causing more problems than it was worth. I'm just sticking with the Google contact sync.
  22. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I never installed Backup Assistant and it still shows up in running processes.
  23. Kal Al

Kal Al New Member

I followed the steps and got the license screen, but there is still a process that runs called "sync service" that restarts even after I manually kill it. I'm gonna try a restart but if that doesn't work I'm gonna have to do a hard reset probably. That's gonna suck even though I've only had the phone for a day. I've already got it set up the way I like it.
  24. terryzx

terryzx Well-Known Member

I had to figure that out myself

I called Verizon and some idiot told me to merge them ALL to my Gmail and then remove the duplicates. BIG PROBLEM since the ones on that backup were named the same but had different and less info in them than my gmail. Plus with 600 contacts it would ahve taken forever to check them all and remove the one i didn't need.

I hate when i get a support a$$ who is just stupid
  25. DangBruhY

DangBruhY Member

Even when I cleared data and force stopped, it still kept the password in memory and did a sync.

So far, it looks like my only option is to wipe it out, which I don't want to do. I have too much stuff on here.