Disadvantages besides voiding warranty when unlocking the bootloader?

1. bobbaluba

bobbaluba New Member

This should probably be in a faq somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
    The bootloader unlocker tool download page at asus says that by unlocking the bootloader you "can no longer receive ASUS software updates; your purchased digital content may also be affected."

What does this mean? If there is a new version of android, will i be unable to get it unless i download a custom rom?

Advertisement
  2. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you have an unlocked bootloader, you can't use the OTA updates or the ones downloaded from the website. However, there is typically a "stock" ROM created by the devs over at XDA for people who want the stock ROM with an unlocked bootloader.

As far as I know, those are the only drawbacks to unlocking. However, I guess it is possible for apps to see if you are unlocked and prevent you from using them. I know there are some apps who don't allow rooted users to use them. That's probably what they mean by "your purchased digital content may also be affected."
  3. JAy3001

JAy3001 Well-Known Member

I believe it also means you cannot rent films from the Play Store due to the fact you can gain access to the protected files.
  4. Lostsorrow

Lostsorrow Well-Known Member

You are correct. You cant buy music or rent movies on google play.

Sent from my Asus Transformer Primalicious .21 Odex
  5. bikbok

bikbok Well-Known Member

Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought this was the normal rooting routine if you dont want to wait for a new exploit:

1. Unlock with asus' own tool
    2. Install CWM
    3. Install SU through CWM feature.
    4. Install RootKeeper.

Now you can get root access and it is safe to update because of rootkeeper.
  6. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

I don't know for certain, but here's something from a sticky over at XDA:
    [GUIDE] The DO's and DON'T's with your unlocked Prime - xda-developers
    I don't know about you, but if I unlock, I'm sticking to ROMs.
    bikbok likes this.
  7. bikbok

bikbok Well-Known Member

Thanks, I think I will do this myself. However: 9.4.2.21 Rootkeeper... Wipe? - xda-developers

This guy claims he had 9.4.2.15, rooted, installed rootkeeper and installed OTA (Over The Air) 9.4.2.21 and still kept root. So it might work in the future I guess. But risky.
  8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Rooted and unlocked bootloader are two completely different things. I rooted 15 and used OTA rootkeeper to restore it in 21. But i have not unlocked the bootloader...yet.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk