Disappearing contact (replicated 3x)Support

Last Updated:

1. Chandria

Chandria Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I was wondering if anyone experienced this issue

Advertisement
  2. Chandria

Chandria Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I guess I am the only one who has an issue with contact disapperaing after the contact picture is changed?

3. Rjohnjr

Rjohnjr Active Member

I have just encountered a similar problem. One of my daughters-in-law has disappeared from the contacts on my phone, both in the general contacts and in the list of starred contacts. Oddly, her name still appears in my gmail contact list in the cloud -- when I access my contacts from a browser on my computer, it is right there, both in the starred list and the general list.

It gets odder yet: If I add a new contact for her on the phone, the new contact immediately disappears (or perhaps just becomes invisible) but still syncs over to the cloud and shows up on my desktop.

And it gets even odder yet: If I pull up her contact on my computer and change her first name by adding an extra letter (JJamie instead of Jamie), that change immediately syncs over to the phone and her contact reappears on the phone. But if I delete the extra letter in her first name, changing it back to "Jamie," the contact immediately disappears from the phone again.

I, too, would appreciate any ideas or theories anyone out there might have, however wild and creative. I depend on the phone for my work and this is destroying my confidence in this tool -- I am concerned that other contacts may also be disappearing or becoming invisible and that I might not notice until I am in an emergency situation.

FWIW, I do have a lot of contacts, mostly for work -- between 550 and 600.

4. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Make sure in gmail she is under "My Contacts" not just "all contacts"

Also, check to see if she is linked to a facebook contact, and then under the people app, go to menu -> View -> facebook and check it so it shows your FB contacts, and she if see shows up then. If she does, just unlink her contact, and then you can hide FB contacts again. (Also make sure that you don't have "Only contacts with phone numbers" checked just to be safe)

5. Rjohnjr

Rjohnjr Active Member

Well, she is in "My Contacts" and in "Starred Contacts" but does not appear on the phone. I know she used to show up. This disappearing routine seems to be of fairly recent origin.

I do have a Facebook account, though I really do not use it. I do not have a "People" app on my phone and cannot find one in the market. (Is it perhaps limited to certain phones?) But I did go into my Facebook account via my computer and verified that my Facebook account is NOT linked to ANY other account including my gmail. So that does not seem to be the problem.

The other oddity is that adding an extra "J" at the front of her first name seems to be consistent workaround. I tried using other characters to alter her name (e.g., a space, an asterisk, an exclamation mark) none of which worked.

Thanks for your ideas and for your quick response. But the puzzle seems to remain unsolved.

6. necosino

"People" is just the standard Android contacts app.

7. Rjohnjr

Rjohnjr Active Member

I suspected that might be the case and did go into the menu for the Contacts app but found no options matching those you describe -- no "view" command, and no reference to Facebook under any of the available menu options. But I am assuming this merely reflects the fact that my Facebook account is not linked to my gmail -- and that, if it were, "Facebook" would have shown up in the menu under "display options" or under "accounts."

Still stuck. But thanks for your help.

8. necosino

Under the contacts app, go to menu -> view -> and make sure "Only contacts with phone numbers" isn't checked and see if she doesn't show up then..

If that doesn't work, maybe your phone holds a grudge, idk..

9. Rjohnjr

Rjohnjr Active Member

Yeah, I have tried that too and it has no effect on the problem.

10. edbro

edbro Well-Known Member

Can anybody offer more insight into this problem? I continue to have contacts that do not show under "All Contacts". I have the people app set to only show contacts with numbers. Still no dice. I've tried changing the categories to not be in Favorites; no dice. I've ensured the contacts are in My Contacts in Gmail; no dice.

I've compared the contacts that don't show to the ones that do show and I can't see any differences. What do I need to do to get them to show?

11. RustyNail

RustyNail Well-Known Member

Are you using Skype? There have been reports of it causing this issue.

12. edbro

edbro Well-Known Member

No, I'm not. I've read about that problem too but I think that actually deletes the contacts. Mine are there, they just don't show under "All Contacts".

13. Stupifier

Stupifier Well-Known Member

I actually have strange issues with particular contacts not showing under the "all contacts" area. In short, a couple of the contacts I made favorites......they no longer appear in the "all contacts" area. It is very strange and I'm really disappointed that such a simple default app as People is having this problem

14. edbro

edbro Well-Known Member

Okay, I've got it. I was confusing "All Contacts" with "My Contacts".

Go to Google Contacts and compare the number of "My Contacts" at the top with the number of "All Contacts" below. The numbers are probably different. The contacts in "All Contacts" that do not show in "My Contacts" will not show on the phone.

Select the contact(s) that do not show and press the "Move to My Contacts" button. Now they will show on the phone.

Of course, the big question now is why do some of them drift out of My Contacts. I swear they were there before.