Disappointed in Sprints lack of EVO advertising

Last Updated:

1. stevent76

stevent76 Member This Topic's Starter

Why is Sprint not marketing this phone? It has some of the greatest features in a phone I have ever seen. They missed a prime opportunity during the Nascar race. At the end of the race they had a Samsung Moment ad sitting on top of the car. Prime opportunity lost.

I want this to gain traction against the iPhone but it never will if they don't tell people it exists!

Advertisement
  2. SCB1898

SCB1898 Well-Known Member

I agree!!!

3. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

Not surprised/alarmed. I don't think Verizon even acknowledged the Incredible until like 2 weeks before its launch :D

4. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

Its still several weeks out. The average consumer wants to buy what they see on tv not be told they have to wait.

5. satx1986

satx1986 New Member

I agree Sprint missed a prime ad shot. NASCAR has lots of eyeballs on it and what a great opportunity to show off the NASCAR race app on the EVO. Sorry Sprint, only Apple gets all the free press.

6. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

It's good but then it's not......I would love to have this phone advertised the hell out of and get Sprint more customers, but at the same time it feels good to be in the 'elite' group of people who have this phone due to low advertising.

7. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Two huge issues.

1.) This is sprint. Take out gun, point at foot, and pull trigger is their marketing strategy.

2.) They are releasing the evo in the middle of apple week. With only x number of dollars they need to dump everything into that week. They can not afford to start it now. They will have to fight apple at apples game. Just to one media outfit to cover them for the launch is going to take every dime they have. So they have to save it.

8. Leodoc

Leodoc Well-Known Member

Hey guys...went to the movies last night...saw an evo 4g in an advertisement. The ad wasn't evo specific but it did show it. They were advertising sprint as a whole. It's better than nothing i guess?

9. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

Maybe they're not trying to advertise too much until us batch of geeks get it, put it through its paces, and maybe get a software update or two. We're more like their extended beta testing group. If the phone survives without any major glitches, they may start to really push this thing.

10. mcnutty

mcnutty Well-Known Member

Swat

11. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I would imagine that they want to put out a few teasers prior to release but that the best thing is to advertise the hell out of it once you are able to go out and buy it.

Enthusiasts like us will research this stuff months in advance but for a lot of people it's a matter of seeing something on TV enough times, then maybe checking it out at Best Buy and then pulling the trigger and buying one.

The other issue is that with smart phones coming out all the time now and the dependence on heavy subsidies and long contracts, there are less people who need or can afford a new smart phone at any given time. You almost have to launch these things 2 years after another big launch. Otherwise people run out their contracts and buy whatever the current cool thing is when they are eligible for another fat subsidy.

12. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

We need more creepy palm pre like commercials. :)

13. shadrap

shadrap Well-Known Member

Man, I knew Palm was gonna fail when I saw those commercials. Verizon did a great job marketing the Droid. I wish they would do something along those lines.

14. 22engine

22engine Well-Known Member

Dont forget the Nascar All Star race is next week which will be a couple of weeks before not three. I do agree though i thought they would atleast throw one commercial or something out there.

15. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

I have a feeling their biggest media blitz won't be until after it is released.

16. koolhand79

koolhand79 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know or understand why sprint is the only company constantly releasing their big time product around the same time as apples events? No one else does this. They release in april and may to try to get some foot hold before apple begins their dominant push. Sprint chooses June giving consumers time to see what apple is going to do, try out the sprint product, only to return it and get an iphone. I honestly dont understand this at all. I think they enjoy failing

17. Painkillaz

Painkillaz Well-Known Member

i would rather cancel my cable than being forced to watch those again

18. SprintFun

They'll go all out for the NASCAR all-star race. They have previously for the Instinct and Pre.

19. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

they usually start advertising a week to 2 week before release. I guarantee they will start advertising soon.

20. septro

septro Well-Known Member

They need something smart and fresh that can catch eyeballs.. basically something along the lines of Verizon v. AT&T coverage but EVO vs. iPhone for the two weeks before the iPhone 4 announcement.

Focus on 4G, Mobile Hotspot, VideoChat, HD Video and we got ourselves a winner!

21. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

At least this year they have a phone where they can do that. Remember a couple years ago when they tried that with the instinct?

22. SniperDroid

SniperDroid Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch the pre-race show? The DID have the announcers show and talk briefly about the EVO and when it would be released. Still would have like to have seen a commercial though.

23. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

The only thing you want is for people to look at you and say "oh my, he must be cool he has an EVO"!

If ya want that go get an iphone. This has no relevance in the usability of the phone, or even android in general.

me2u69 likes this.
  24. SprintFun

Thankfully with the dedicated start times I don't bother tuning in for the pre-race garbage anymore haha.

25. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

I only saw one Droid Incredible commercial ever. It was like 2 weeks after it was already out. And yet, it still sold like crazy.