• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disappointed with Zagg Shield

cacaman

Jan 4, 2010
A week ago I received the Invisible Shield from Zagg in the mail and was very excited. I read the instructions, saw some installation videos on youtube and after 1 hour of preparation i was ready for the install.

The installation process is a nightmare as you have to apply the solution while keeping the shield from sticking to itself and its a PIA to align correctly. I installed the back cover first and after many tries I had it correctly aligned but it didn't fit perfectly meaning there were areas that the shield did not cover completeley such as corners which are the most prone to damage. Next I installed the screen protector OMFG what a POS. It had bubbles all over even after using the squegee card. I thought I'd give it a few days for them to clear up as Zagg claims that within 24 hrs they disappear. They did not go away and it made the screen look bad especially on a white background. Needless to say the smaller pieces are also a nightmare to install. Anyways, today I saw my phone and got tired of looking at that Zagg crap and at the sticky feel it gives the phone and took it off and went back to what I had before.

I had the siliicone case from the sprint store and the screen protector from the sprint store which had worked perfectly since november: not a single scratch and no dust problems. So really beware of the Zagg products, at least I got it for free so it didn't hurt to throw it away.

I am very unhappy with my Zagg screen protector as well. Thinking about letting it be an expensive mistake and taking it off.
I've heard folks comment on the BoxWave screen protector. Does it look ok after install? Still smooth keyboard ops?

I got the BoxWave crystal. VERY disappointed. It feels nice, but the edges don't stick. I have two corners that don't start sticking until the actual screen. I got a replacement under warranty but had the same issues. I've tried washing it like suggested but it didn't do squat.

Upvote 0
I had one on my last phone (Moto Q9c) and it seemed awesome at first. The Q9c has a soft flexible plastic lense over the glass screen, which gets scratched easily. Having the Invisible Shield over it seemed like a life saver, as it doesn't get scratched and had a nice feel to it.

After a couple of months the ends started coming up and the screen developed a hazy tinge to it. I put up with it for another month and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle. I pulled it off and it made my phone look so much better. The screen had started being obscured by the cover and it happened so slowly over time I hadn't noticed how dingy my screen had seemed.

I won't ever be putting one of those on my Hero.

Upvote 0
I've used Zagg for years, but this is my first touchscreen after many BB's.

For a non-touchscreen I thought it was amazing, made the screen untouchable and never seemed to notice it. With a touchscreen if it's not PERFECT you notice it a ton.

The reason this was an issue for me was
1. Zagg is thick, sorta seemed like a bit much
2. The piece was much bigger than any I dealt with before and putting it on perfect was impossible for me, so there are blemishes
3. WARRANTY IS BS!! Like $6 and you have to send the old one back, last time I had warrantied my phone and mailed that back in with the shield on it so I couldn't mail it in to get the rebate! :(

Upvote 0
I got the BoxWave crystal. VERY disappointed. It feels nice, but the edges don't stick. I have two corners that don't start sticking until the actual screen. I got a replacement under warranty but had the same issues. I've tried washing it like suggested but it didn't do squat.

I also went with boxwave but got the antiglare. I also had 2 corners that would not stick. They replaced it. The new one is perfect. The nature of the antiglare cuts down the clarity of the screen but does not change the keyboard input.

I'm happy with it.

Upvote 0
I have a different phone to share my experience but my pre has the zagg invisible shield and it's not that bad. I got it installed by best buy for $8.00. Something like that which is extremely overpriced should be installed by them. The first time a guy did it and it came out horrible. I went back and they replaced it with no question. I had a girl put it on the 2nd time and it is perfect. If it cost a couple bucks, I would say put it on yourself but with something at a higher price go to best buy. They will replace it until your happy. They went through 3 boxes to find one with no defect, like crooked cuts.

Upvote 0
I guess I can throw in my 2 cents about ZAGG. When I got my instinct s30 I had the urgency to buy the Invisible Shield, so I did. It lasted a while on my Instinct, but yes, it did start to lose the "grip" on the edges and such. So now, with my Hero, I just felt like I needed to give the Invisible Shield a "2nd chance". Bought mine (Full Body) about a month ago now, and YES it was a NIGHTMARE putting it on, but the only part that really got me frustrated was the screen part. Apparently every part of my room has dust molecules .... cuz every time I tried, it had some kind of "hair" or "spot under the shield.

Anyways, the ending of my story is, yes, my Invisible Shield is NOT perfect, but it looks great, other than the screen. But I have gotten use to the "spots" which arent TOO noticible while the screen is on. Thinking about buying a replacement screen part to try again, but so far im satisfied! Not the best, but I sure trust the protection that it really does provide. I am also using a silicon case. Great combo, IMO.

Upvote 0
I had two different devices with invisible shield, my Pre and the Hero now. On the Pre, I did not not like the grip that the invisible shield started getting near the end. It made the gesture swipe hard to execute especially when it got older.

On the Hero it is not so bad since you don't swipe the screen as much as you did with the Pre. On both, I did follow the instructions to the letter, getting the back side(sticky side) very wet with the water solution to ensure that I could both slide the shield into the perfect alignment and also to allow for full squeegee of the water out from under the shield which prevents any bubbles.

You need to have an absolutely clean area to do this so that you don't get any dust under the shield and you should be fine.

I did like the older ones which had the spray on water solution, the newer one with the sponge is not as nice but if you try to ensure that you wet the entire back of the shield it should install properly.

I would agree that the warranty is not worth it since you need to send it in and it costs for the shipping.

Mostly it seems worth it to avoid scratches but I would say that it is not entirely like not having something over the screen.

Upvote 0
I had phantomskinz on my pre also for 6.70 for two, I couldn't pass it up. The problem was both had a defect in the protector and I had a weird rainbow effect after install. Returned them and waiting for a refund. Nothing is better then your phones stock feel. I have a hero also and with the oiliphobic screen, I feel a protector is not needed. The screen is more scratch proof then any other phone I have had.

Upvote 0
i had the zagg shield on my istinct and my iphone. after a couple of days on the iphone i ripped it off and threw it in the garbage. It started peeling on the instinct so i tried to have it warranted. Their warranty is a joke. The screen protector is way too grippy for a touch screen phone. It fit like crap on the back of my iphone. Good luck trying to get it on there as its sticky as hell. Overall i think its overpriced garbage. The material its made out of is super tough if they cdould figure out how to make it slick on the screen and stay grippy on the rear of the phone and also be easier to install.

Upvote 0
+1 disappointed Zagg full body shield owner. Started to get dirt and grime withing two months and peeling off. Not to mention the rubbery orange peel texture is extremely unpleasant to touch and hard to see clearly through. Wish I could get my money back.

Been using a hard case with a naked screen since December. The naked screen is very scratch resistant but constantly requires fingerprint wiping. Just ordered 2x anti-glare protectors off ebay for 6 bucks and they should do the job. Then my 2000mah battery will be here soon enough and I will be officially DONE buying phone accessories!

Upvote 0
A week ago I received the Invisible Shield from Zagg in the mail and was very excited. I read the instructions, saw some installation videos on youtube and after 1 hour of preparation i was ready for the install.

The installation process is a nightmare as you have to apply the solution while keeping the shield from sticking to itself and its a PIA to align correctly. I installed the back cover first and after many tries I had it correctly aligned but it didn't fit perfectly meaning there were areas that the shield did not cover completeley such as corners which are the most prone to damage. Next I installed the screen protector OMFG what a POS. It had bubbles all over even after using the squegee card. I thought I'd give it a few days for them to clear up as Zagg claims that within 24 hrs they disappear. They did not go away and it made the screen look bad especially on a white background. Needless to say the smaller pieces are also a nightmare to install. Anyways, today I saw my phone and got tired of looking at that Zagg crap and at the sticky feel it gives the phone and took it off and went back to what I had before.

I had the siliicone case from the sprint store and the screen protector from the sprint store which had worked perfectly since november: not a single scratch and no dust problems. So really beware of the Zagg products, at least I got it for free so it didn't hurt to throw it away.

im pretty sure you just suck at installing it you need to take your time installing it and if there were bubbles you should have lifted it up and then re-apply the screen protector...its really not that hard to do.

i prefer phantom skinz though.

Upvote 0
I found a great website with awesome priced accessories for my hero. I bought 6 perfect fit screen protectors, a silcone case for my phone and one for my hubby's hero, a really nice leather case, and a car charger and paid $21 for all of it including shipping! They were running a deal... if you spend $20 save $5.00. I expected low quality stuff for the price ($2.99 per silicone cover, $4.99 leather case, $1.99 for 3 screen protectors, and $4.99 car charger!) Everything was a perfect fit and nice stuff. I don't have any bubbles or any peeling and have had my screen protector on for a couple months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones