Discovered a Phone App for SGPTips

1. drted

drted Active Member

Hello all,
    I was reading in another forum yesterday about an app called Talkatune... so I decided to install on my SGP. As you know I live in Brazil and Florida, and yesterday I called my mother from Brazil... for free using this app... and it does work. It is tied to google chat, and only works in the US and Canada for free calls... but I have a google chat account and a google telephone number...

I installed the app. .. it requires you to enter your country code...obviously USA and for my area code. ...

I also installed on my T-Mobile Galaxy Tab ... and it worked....Eliminated and roaming fees.. instantly.... hahahahha

This morning a friend of mine in Florida called my Google number .. and it rang here,in Brasil, on my SGP.... a free international call from Florida to Brasil....
    Now I am emailing all my friends my number for them to call me ....

Best, Ted

Advertisement
    :
  2. blackdog709

blackdog709 Well-Known Member

GoogleVoice will do this too. Free phone number that you can receive and place calls on. And get regular phone numbers routed to. Great when travelling because folks back home don't incur long-distance rates on voice calls to you, they still call your same old cell or home phone...and you get to make free calls too. It's not really free though. You're paying google by letting them use all the information about what you are doing and where you are.
    Personally, I'm a bit unnerved by the infiltration of google. I mean, a lot of it is good, and free obviously. But they log everything you do when you are signed into any of their services and sell the data to advertisers. Take a look at your google dashboard to see that data that's being tracked. Personally I just try to use their services judiciously and limit how much I "sign on". But if you don't care about any of this, it's pretty cool.

Skype lets you place calls and text using a pre-paid account (via wifi, obviously). But there's no phone number for anyone to call back to.
  3. aeroplane

aeroplane Member

I can't figure out how to use google voice for phone calls on the SGP. I can use it for text messages just fine, though. Any pointers?
  4. brosko

brosko Well-Known Member

I dont think google voice works for calls on the sgp because it does not have a dialer(the sgp that is). I just use talkatune as it has dial pad included with the app.
    I could not get google voice to make a call either.
  5. Sideman

Sideman Well-Known Member

yep, you need a dialer app. Like GrooveIP, or Talkatune. Also, you should sign up for a free google phone number...needed for free phone calls...you do that online at the Google Voice website.
    aeroplane likes this.
  6. aeroplane

aeroplane Member

GrooVeIP Was exactly what the doctor ordered! Perfect!
  7. Sideman

Sideman Well-Known Member

Excellent. Glad you're happy with it. I use it too.