Discrepancies between reviews of EVO (Engadget & PcMag): Battery Life

Last Updated:

1. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

PCMag: HTC EVO 4G (Sprint) - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine

Endgadget: HTC EVO 4G review -- Engadget

That's two very different experiences. Is it possible that given the spotty Philadelphia coverage that PCMag guy was in:

was having the 4G radio searching for a signal more often than not? I remember from one of the CTIA videos, someone showing the EVO said that battery life would be drastically affected if 4G was on but searching. So assuming that the Endgadget guys did most of their 4G work while in a well-covered area, that might explain the different in battery life. That also assumes that the PCMag guy had just brought it off the charger and it died in 3.5 hours, whereas the Engadget guys had it on 3G for about 2 hours then 4G for another 3 hours 15 minutes.

Thoughts?

Another note: the PCMag guy really didn't like the call quality :( could a radio firmware update fix that?

Advertisement
  2. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

I have yet to read anything form pc mag in the last 3 years that was remotely factual. They have been on the if it sales we will say rant. And sold out for money. But so has pc world. We are watching the death of print and life of web, during that process, alot of companies are going to have to get money somehow.

3. jadoe05

jadoe05 Well-Known Member

I just hope my experience in baltimore is closer to the Engadget review. lol

4. devobail

devobail Active Member

I managed to kill the EVO's battery in three and a half hours of heavy 4G use, including lots of streaming media and hotspot usage (sometimes at the same time.

Let me get this straight, they're streaming media & using the hotspot, and got 3 1/2 hours and they think thats a bad thing? Give me a break what the heck, do they expect it to last all damn day as a hotspot? I barely get 3 1/2 hours of heavy use on my iphone, and thats on 3G WITH NO HOTSPOT!

Some of these review guys are asking way to much out of the battery on this thing hell the Overdrive only lasts 3 hours and it's ONLY job is to be a hotspot, no screen, no O/S, no nothing just wifi. How long do they expect the thing to last? smh

5. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

o and thats not all... get the hole segment not just a clip... that was a 50% battery they did it

6. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

honestly, engadget is the only place where i saw positive reviews of the battery. i'm expecting it to drain quickly. i'll either deal with it or buy an extended battery. meh.