Last Updated:

1. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Advertisement
  2. quest7

quest7 Well-Known Member

3. adaaaam

adaaaam Well-Known Member

keytracer has been on every Samsung Android I've owned (Virgin Intercept, MetroPCS Galaxy Indulge, Sprint Galaxy S II). I've only today checked the permissions and noticed how ridiculous they are. It is not listed as a running service, but I don't understand why it's installed, at 0.0b.
  4. adaaaam

adaaaam Well-Known Member

There is a huge difference between tracking the amount of bytes sent per month and the keystrokes entered on Websites in the passwords fields; the time and number of sms sent vs. the content of emails typed; I could go on and on. While carriers already had a lot of information on our calling habits, and even numbers called, this is nowhere near as dangerous as having keystrokes logged, which, remember, they're denying, for good reason.
  5. klown07

klown07 Well-Known Member

Ok so now we need to find out more info about this keytracer thing
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

There has been talk of this over at AndroidCentral..
    keytracer - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    ...a poster seems to think it might part of Samsung's Touchwiz.

Maybe it has something to do with the pattern unlock feature that Samsung phones have.
  7. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

FYI, I do not have Samsung's Touchwiz. I was thinking Keytracer was part of Android, but it seems some devices with unofficial ROMs do not have it.

Just to be clear, I have Android 2.1, Sprint's latest update on Samsung Moment. May be future Android releases are more cleaned up about Permissions.
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Yeh, my Samsung Galaxy S with CM7 doesn't have it.
  9. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Voodoo Carrier IQ detector

This app's goal is to let you find out as easily as possible if your Android device hosts CarrierIQ rootkit or not.
  10. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

What's Samsung Mobil Tracker? I rooted the phone and canned it with Titanium. SGS4G on TMO.

Don't see Keytracer, but I canned Swype, too.
  11. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

I have Swype installed, it works, and I don't have that installed.
  12. WhizGidget

WhizGidget Well-Known Member

I'm stock, HTC Incredible on Verizon, updated to Gingerbread 4.08.605.2 and I don't have a service for IQ Agent Service running on my phone...

So... anything else I should look for? I really don't want to root just to find out if I have this...
  13. jerofld

The app that jefboyardee linked is in beta, but claims it has some success in identifying CIQ.
  14. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

15. klown07

klown07 Well-Known Member

I'm suspicious of keytracer, because while working on a computer for somebody, his pc was very highly infected with some nasty viruses and such. One of them said Tracer something something.
  16. jgreetham

jgreetham Well-Known Member

On the Android Market is Voodoo Carrier IQ Detector. Also Bloat / CIQ * Freezer. The former was mentioned at cnn.com. I ran it on my T-Mo Vibrant w/ Project V rom and it reported the s/w is not installed. Maybe it's because of T-Mo, maybe it's because of Project V.
  17. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

18. rherrera30

rherrera30 New Member

I rooted my EVO 4G with Revolutionary and used Root Explorer to find all files containing "IQ". There were about 8 or so. Then I simply added ".org" to their names. I got a complaint notice from the system... something like "current services needs this application", but I disregarded and rebooted. After the reboot, I checked my running apps and found that IQAgent was not running. Yes!!!

That was about 6 hours ago. So far, I've not had any problems calling, sending text, connecting via 3G or WiFi, browsing, downloading new apps from the marketplace or running existing apps.

Rooting took care of this issue, but that shouldn't have to be the case. As others have pointed out, we should be given the option of accepting or rejecting data capture by anyone for any reason.
  19. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Can't guarantee but as far as I've been able to determine, stock, unrooted T-Mobile HTC G2 running Gingerbread 2.3.4 and unrooted LG G2x with Gingerbread 2.3.3 are both clean.
  20. jerofld

Now, by no means do I want, intend, or desire to insult any religious group, but why would anyone name their company that? Especially when:

1) The word is used mostly in a derogatory manner against anyone that is not a muslim.

2) Your product spies on American cell phone usage?!?

I may be totally out of line here, but I call things the way I see 'em.
    daytonaUSA likes this.
  21. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

22. zapjb

zapjb Well-Known Member

No way, no how major carriers will face fines even approaching 1% of cap value. Carrier IQ might have to fall on it's sword. But whadaya wanna bet Carrier IQ is an empty shell corporation with virtually no assets. There's been no real accountability for major corps. in the last 30+ years in the USA.
  23. Mk1

Mk1 Member

Anyone know whether some uk third party generic phones are infected with carrier IQ. ?:confused:
    I think I read somewhere a reporter had contacted various uk networks who seemed to say their phones do not have or collect iq data but then again their phones are non generic.:confused:
  24. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Hmm.. maybe.. maybe not. But "shit just got real"

Carrier IQ, HTC, Samsung hit with class-action lawsuits