Discussion of the car dock for HTC EVO 4G LTETips

Last Updated:

1. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

You're the man WifiMaxed!

Looks like HTC took a cue from Motorola and made the connector between the dock and the mount a universal ball mount that's used for GARMIN's!

What does that mean exactly?

Well, for those that don't really like suction cups for their mount, this form factor allows you to use any of the mounts available for Garmin's.

I personally decided to try out a vent mount and it's been working perfectly for my MoPho car mount:
    Amazon.com: IG-A03: i.Trek Vent Mount for Garmin Nuvi 200, 200W, 250, 250W, 260, 260W, 270, 205, 205W, 255, 255W, 265T, 265WT, 275T, 500, 550, 680, 750, 760: Electronics

There's also proclip mounts that I actually might finally decide to go with because they have mounts specifically for your vehicle:
    Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

-EDIT- The one thing I'll add to this is that Motorola actually provides both a charger and an adaptor that has a 3.5mm output connector, so that allows you to charge the phone AND connect the phone to your car speakers via 3.5mm w/o having to use the 3.5mm input on the phone.

Before people respond saying, "just use bluetooth", keep in mind that bluetooth sync is not something compatible with all cars, so majority of the people out there won't have that option. I don't even have an AUX input on my car, so I have to use a tape adaptor!...LOL.

quijibo and marctronixx like this.
  2. drexappeal

Because of this format, I thought I'd also post the pic that I put up on Amazon where it's mounted to the Motorola Photon car dock and should also be able to do it with the LTEvo car dock now:

PattiCakeUS and marctronixx like this.
  3. hsh.shawn

hsh.shawn Well-Known Member

I just picked up my car dock and media link. Unfortunately the car dock does not come with a charger but any micro usb car charger you had before will hook right into it, but if you don't have one you will have to get one.
  4. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

None of the htc car docks I've purchased came with a usb cable. Keeps costs down.

How much is the dock at sprint?

Can anyone post up the sku number?
    quijibo likes this.
  5. drexappeal

Yup. It's standard for HTC not to include the USB charger w/ the car dock.

That said, Motorola did provide one and I believe the cost of the car dock for my MoPho was the same as HTC. I know this turned a lot of people away from buying HTC specific accessories because they were so expensive, but weren't that much "better" than universal ones (at least by their standards).
    marctronixx likes this.
  6. couragedragon

couragedragon Active Member

Thanks for the heads up drexappeal!

Can you guys confirm if the ball on the HTC mount is the same 17mm ball used for the Garmin mounts?

I'd love to be able to get one of these to mount it:

Amazon.com: IG-PSTARA: i.Trek Garmin Nuvi Sticky Mount: Electronics

Amazon.com: ARKON APGN-VSM Vehicle Specific Mount Adapter Plate Connects 4 Hole AMPS VSM to Garmin Nuvi 17mm: GPS & Navigation
    quijibo likes this.
  7. hsh.shawn

Cost is $35 before discount and I have one where can I find the SKU and I can post it if it's on the box
  8. drexappeal

No problem. I hope it is the same size because there'd really be no point of their making it like that otherwise. If it didn't work, HTC would be better off going with their old design where the dock and the mount are connected permanently.
  9. quijibo

quijibo Well-Known Member

Too cool, I already have bases on my boat, snowmobile and motorcycle.

10. 3vodroid

3vodroid Well-Known Member

Hopefully the sprint store near me in South Jersey has the accessories in I would really like to get my hands on the car dock I will post my results tomorrow afternoon
  11. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

Two Sprint stores near me told me they don't have any EVOLTE accessories yet. May or may not be true. I guess I'll wait till I have the phone in my hand before I try again.
    3vodroid likes this.
  12. hsh.shawn

The only number on my receipt is KPH6886V idk if that is what you are looking for? Sorry I couldnt be more help
    marctronixx likes this.
  13. 3vodroid

3vodroid Well-Known Member

Went to the store and they had accessories.... In fact I walked out with the car dock and a gel case for 42 bucks with the 20% off
    marctronixx likes this.
  14. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Well-Known Member

My store tried telling me they didn't have accessories neither yet and when I said well others stores do he double checked and said oh wait we got a box in today. I was going to post a pic of the car dock but I see someone else did. I had it last year and I like it suctioned to the window. I have a car charger now so I just use it and plug it in to the back. I didn't need an extra case cause a seidio one is on the way but I saved 20% and I am tired of purple cases wanted pink. LOL! My friend ordered me a cheap purple gel case off ebay for like 5 or 6 bucks and she got them last Thursday and it was just something to hold me over till I got my Seidio one but of course the phone didn't come out on Friday so now I don't need that case but I have to pay her for it so I'll check it out.
  15. quijibo

Yes, 17mm according to my micrometer.:)
    I like the way that the phone sits in the dock, but it is so far away that I would need a remote to use the phone in my Silverado. I am looking into getting the ProClip mount with the 17mm ball attachment and using the HTC dock. It will be expensive, but way more useful.
    couragedragon and drexappeal like this.
  16. quijibo

Is there a way to add apps to the Car Panel? I use the Sirius/Xm app whenever I am in my car, but the Car Panel doesn't seem to allow it.
  17. hsh.shawn

Yea the car panel app is very nice but I need to be able to customize it which it does not appear you can.

Does anyone know of a car panel app in the store that is customizable?
    marctronixx likes this.
  18. drexappeal

19. hsh.shawn

I did see that one. I am going to give that and Car Home Ultra a test drive over the next few weeks and see if I like them better.

I also was wondering if there is anyway to get the stock music player to pick up offline cache like poweramp and other music apps can?
    miashottangel likes this.
  20. kofkorn

kofkorn Member

Car Home Ultra is super sweet. I love the info that it is giving you including speed and weather.

Only issue I had was that it is constantly using the GPS, causing my OG EVO to overheat badly in the summertime.

Instead, I use "Car Dock Home V3" for normal everyday use and then "Car Home Ultra" occasionally in the summer time and normally in the winter.

I bought pro versions of both apps and I love them both.
  21. hmeaders

hmeaders Member

I do not know the size but, I just tested it with the Garmin beanbag dash mount and it does fit and works in portrait or landscape.
    drexappeal and marctronixx like this.
  22. quijibo

I checked it with a micrometer, it is 17mm.
    couragedragon and marctronixx like this.
  23. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Well-Known Member

What is Car Home Ultra I may want to try it. I had Custom Car Home before on my 3D and used it in the dock. I may redownload it since I am used to it. But I will read about this Car Home Ultra never heard of it. I need the best car locator app one that not only will tell me my parking spot but more importantly I always forget what floor of the parking garage I am on. Is there one that does that?

marctronixx likes this.
  24. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

25. djqwikcut

djqwikcut Well-Known Member

Try custom car home. That it's the program I'm using.