• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Discussion of the car dock for HTC EVO 4G LTE

Saw your unbox vid, thanks for posting it! I have a couple questions I'm hoping you can answer.

Does the Car Dock come with a USB cable?

If not, do we need the special HTC USB cable to activate car mode or can we just use a regular USB cable b/c the cardock USB port triggers the car app on it's own?

I just picked up my car dock and media link. Unfortunately the car dock does not come with a charger but any micro usb car charger you had before will hook right into it, but if you don't have one you will have to get one.

Upvote 0
None of the htc car docks I've purchased came with a usb cable. Keeps costs down.

How much is the dock at sprint?

Can anyone post up the sku number?

Yup. It's standard for HTC not to include the USB charger w/ the car dock.

That said, Motorola did provide one and I believe the cost of the car dock for my MoPho was the same as HTC. I know this turned a lot of people away from buying HTC specific accessories because they were so expensive, but weren't that much "better" than universal ones (at least by their standards).

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Looks like HTC took a cue from Motorola and made the connector between the dock and the mount a universal ball mount that's used for GARMIN's!

Thanks for the heads up drexappeal!

Can you guys confirm if the ball on the HTC mount is the same 17mm ball used for the Garmin mounts?

I'd love to be able to get one of these to mount it:

Amazon.com: IG-PSTARA: i.Trek Garmin Nuvi Sticky Mount: Electronics

Amazon.com: ARKON APGN-VSM Vehicle Specific Mount Adapter Plate Connects 4 Hole AMPS VSM to Garmin Nuvi 17mm: GPS & Navigation

Reactions: quijibo
Upvote 0

Can you guys confirm if the ball on the HTC mount is the same 17mm ball used for the Garmin mounts?

Amazon.com: ARKON APGN-VSM Vehicle Specific Mount Adapter Plate Connects 4 Hole AMPS VSM to Garmin Nuvi 17mm: GPS & Navigation

No problem. I hope it is the same size because there'd really be no point of their making it like that otherwise. If it didn't work, HTC would be better off going with their old design where the dock and the mount are connected permanently.

Upvote 0
Too cool, I already have bases on my boat, snowmobile and motorcycle.

You're the man WifiMaxed!

Looks like HTC took a cue from Motorola and made the connector between the dock and the mount a universal ball mount that's used for GARMIN's!

What does that mean exactly?

Well, for those that don't really like suction cups for their mount, this form factor allows you to use any of the mounts available for Garmin's.

I personally decided to try out a vent mount and it's been working perfectly for my MoPho car mount:
Amazon.com: IG-A03: i.Trek Vent Mount for Garmin Nuvi 200, 200W, 250, 250W, 260, 260W, 270, 205, 205W, 255, 255W, 265T, 265WT, 275T, 500, 550, 680, 750, 760: Electronics

There's also proclip mounts that I actually might finally decide to go with because they have mounts specifically for your vehicle:
Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

-EDIT- The one thing I'll add to this is that Motorola actually provides both a charger and an adaptor that has a 3.5mm output connector, so that allows you to charge the phone AND connect the phone to your car speakers via 3.5mm w/o having to use the 3.5mm input on the phone.

Before people respond saying, "just use bluetooth", keep in mind that bluetooth sync is not something compatible with all cars, so majority of the people out there won't have that option. I don't even have an AUX input on my car, so I have to use a tape adaptor!...LOL.

Upvote 0
Hopefully the sprint store near me in South Jersey has the accessories in I would really like to get my hands on the car dock I will post my results tomorrow afternoon

Two Sprint stores near me told me they don't have any EVOLTE accessories yet. May or may not be true. I guess I'll wait till I have the phone in my hand before I try again.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
My store tried telling me they didn't have accessories neither yet and when I said well others stores do he double checked and said oh wait we got a box in today. I was going to post a pic of the car dock but I see someone else did. I had it last year and I like it suctioned to the window. I have a car charger now so I just use it and plug it in to the back. I didn't need an extra case cause a seidio one is on the way but I saved 20% and I am tired of purple cases wanted pink. LOL! My friend ordered me a cheap purple gel case off ebay for like 5 or 6 bucks and she got them last Thursday and it was just something to hold me over till I got my Seidio one but of course the phone didn't come out on Friday so now I don't need that case but I have to pay her for it so I'll check it out.

Upvote 0

Yes, 17mm according to my micrometer.:)
I like the way that the phone sits in the dock, but it is so far away that I would need a remote to use the phone in my Silverado. I am looking into getting the ProClip mount with the 17mm ball attachment and using the HTC dock. It will be expensive, but way more useful.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to add apps to the Car Panel? I use the Sirius/Xm app whenever I am in my car, but the Car Panel doesn't seem to allow it.

Yea the car panel app is very nice but I need to be able to customize it which it does not appear you can.

Does anyone know of a car panel app in the store that is customizable?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Car Home Ultra is super sweet. I love the info that it is giving you including speed and weather.

Only issue I had was that it is constantly using the GPS, causing my OG EVO to overheat badly in the summertime.

Instead, I use "Car Dock Home V3" for normal everyday use and then "Car Home Ultra" occasionally in the summer time and normally in the winter.

I bought pro versions of both apps and I love them both.

Upvote 0
What is Car Home Ultra I may want to try it. I had Custom Car Home before on my 3D and used it in the dock. I may redownload it since I am used to it. But I will read about this Car Home Ultra never heard of it. I need the best car locator app one that not only will tell me my parking spot but more importantly I always forget what floor of the parking garage I am on. Is there one that does that?

I did see that one. I am going to give that and Car Home Ultra a test drive over the next few weeks and see if I like them better.

I also was wondering if there is anyway to get the stock music player to pick up offline cache like poweramp and other music apps can?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones