• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Discussion of the car dock for HTC EVO 4G LTE

Does anyone know of a car panel app in the store that is customizable?

I used a 3rd party home replacement (Launcher Pro) with my OG Evo. It has all the shortcuts that i could want when diving, and tasker automatically launches it when my phone connects to the Bluetooth in my car.

But now that my phone somehow goes into landscape view on the regular home screen, I'm dedicating my 7th home screen to car purposes.

Upvote 0
Just a heads up.

My Sprint stores still don't have the car docks in stock so I called Sprint TeleSales to order it direct. They were going to charge me $12 to ship it, and I was like "really 12 bucks to ship it???" And the guy was like, let me see what I can do about it, 15 seconds later. "I just got my supervisor to override it. Free shipping." (I was prepared to pay a reduced charge of course). So it was just the $34.99 plus tax.

The telesales number is 1-888-882-4030 (They'll also give you the 20% off on two accessories, at least as of tonight.)

p.s. btw, for those of you considering the HTC Stereo Clip, while I haven't used it, I'd like to say the Samsung HS3000 at half the cost has been awesome for me.

Upvote 0
Let me know which app you like the most. I had Custom Car Home for my 3D but I want to try Car Home Ultra. The one that cane with our new phone seems cool but I don't know if I can delete certain apps and add different ones. I tried once and haven't really looked at it anymore. I need to look again but I do like that the home screen rotates. But I love my dock. The dock with the phone when I hold down my BT and it says voice dialing it doesn't bring up google search for me to say call so and so it takes me to my phone and recent calls are there. But I do like how the bT connects when it's docked and then when I take ppone out it undocks. One app had a wifi setting to it turned off your wifi when docked not sure if it was the one with the phone or the Car Home Ultra cause my friend got it to try and I think he saw it in those settings not sure. I want to try the Ultra one too it's like a 30 day trial.

Just got my car dock from sprint store. Love it! I'm going to try out the car apps everyone has suggested to see which one I like the best. Car panel is ok but it doesn't leave much room for customizing.

Upvote 0
I tried the car dock out over the past few days and my biggest gripe is that the phone would get way too hot after about 15 to 20 minutes and quit charging. That could be just this Texas heat but still a no go for me, that can't be good for the phone so I took it back. I have a regular GPS that I use 8 to 10 hours everyday for work so this didn't seem very practical for my needs but it was still nice while I had it.

Upvote 0
I tried the car dock out over the past few days and my biggest gripe is that the phone would get way too hot after about 15 to 20 minutes and quit charging. That could be just this Texas heat but still a no go for me, that can't be good for the phone so I took it back. I have a regular GPS that I use 8 to 10 hours everyday for work so this didn't seem very practical for my needs but it was still nice while I had it.

That's part of the reason that I switched to a vent mount, for my MoPho car dock. I realized that, even with the AC on, the phone was just soaking up the heat from the sun (when on the dash...can't put on center windshield in CA). With the AC mount, I lose one of the vents, but it also keeps the phone cool on Sunny days. In L.A., obviously, it proved to be the best move. So, for those of you that live in areas that have a lot of sun, and you're willing to sacrifice "full" use of one of your vents, it's an option worth exploring.

Upvote 0
For those that don't want to use a vent mount, here are a couple other options for dash mounting:

Amazon.com: GlareStomper 320 Sun Shade Visor for 4.3" 4.7" and 5.0" GPS Screens: GPS & Navigation
- I used this sunshade for a while. It kept the phone a little cool, but not quite enough to prevent the phone from getting too hot on sunny days

http://www.amazon.com/ARKON-GN111-G...B0OO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338407547&sr=8-2
- I could see this coming in handy for people that don't want to put their phone on the dash, windshield, or vent

Amazon.com: ME-USDM: i.Trek Universal Dashboard Mount with built-in holder for Garmin TomTom Magellan iPhone 3/4/5 HTC Samsung Motorola LG Google Android Amazon Kindle: GPS & Navigation
- I used an Arkon friction mount for a long time, but if I had found this one first, I probably would've gone with it instead. I purchased one, in case the vent mount didn't work right, but it's an option nontheless.

Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
the car dock does not add any heat to the device. once the handset is charged the charging circuit will shut off. it gets hot here in LA and ive not yet seen the handset overheat.

Although, I have had the charging circuit shut off on my OG Evo, prior to it being fully charged. That always happened due to sun exposure though, so I agree that it's not the dock, but more-so from the natural elements it's being exposed to (e.g. sunlight). Same reason I definitely have gotten more comfortable using a vent mount. I have multiple vents on my car, so I realized that losing the 1 vent wasn't so bad...and it served as a fan for the phone staying cool. Haven't had the charging unit on my MoPho shut off ever since I made the switch.

Upvote 0
yes if you place the unit on the windshield/dash then expect it to get hot unfortunately. thats why there is a 3M sticky pad that allows you to mount the dock virtually anywhere.

i mounted the dock down by the gear knob because i have no space anywhere else and i DO NOT want to junk my windshield/dashboard with wires and stuff.. :D

Hahaha...Yeah, I can see that being useful mounting spot. I don't really like the sticky pads, for fear of any residual stickiness being left if I take the pad off.

What's great about what HTC did with the car dock (similar to the MoPho car dock) is that they made it a universal Garmin ball-joint connector. That opens up a lot of different mounting possibilities for different people's needs.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That's part of the reason that I switched to a vent mount, for my MoPho car dock. I realized that, even with the AC on, the phone was just soaking up the heat from the sun (when on the dash...can't put on center windshield in CA). With the AC mount, I lose one of the vents, but it also keeps the phone cool on Sunny days. In L.A., obviously, it proved to be the best move. So, for those of you that live in areas that have a lot of sun, and you're willing to sacrifice "full" use of one of your vents, it's an option worth exploring.

I have to use a vent mount because I'm also in CA so now windshield mounting, and my dash slopes so I can't securely mount onto the dash. However, it does keep the phone cool and I can always take the mount off if I feel like it.

I've got a $10 generic that was originally designed for iPhones but has really good arms that can accomodate the LTEvo. It's pretty much perfect for my needs.

Reactions: WifiMaxed
Upvote 0
So you would have to buy an add-on piece to have it stuck some where near the radio area!? I don't like near the glass!:p

Pretty much every car dock I've purchased has always came with a windshield style mount and a 3M adhesive pad to mount your dock on a dash. As previously mentioned in previous post. Like others not hip getting sticky stuff on my dash :p Maybe going into a car stero store they could provide a more permanent custom solution? ;)

Upvote 0
My EVO is not always launching the car app when I dock it. Anyone else having this issue?

If you press the the arrows pointing left/right on the bottom of the car dock home screen. This will bring up your settings. Is yours checked marked to automatically switch into car mode in the settings screen? If that does not fix, make sure your LTEVO is seated properly in the cradle :) Mine switches every time, hope this helps ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Guys, I work for the manufacturer of the HTC Evo 4G LTE Car Dock. Here's a few comments to the thread...
- Since the Suction Mount & Dock is using a 17 mm ball (same as Garmin) there's a lot of different Mounting options out there, including fixed installed and Vent mount solutions from companies like Pro-Clip, PanaVise, Pro-Fit Mount etc.
- A round disc for dashboard mounting is included but before using the surface must be cleaned with an alcopad and it must "bond" for 24 hours. The surface must also be flat so the disc really "sticks" well.
- So far every case we've tried works in the Dock except Otterbox and Ballistic style cases. For the thinner cases you might have to use one of the small "foam pads" and insert on the right side of the channel inside the Dock. This so the phone is "balanced" and doesn't tilt.
- Note that when using some cases with a tight fit to the Dock you might have to press down a tad on the left side (where the micro USB is) to start the Car Panel.
Any other questions or tips for improvements, great if you post a note or send a private message...

Upvote 0
I have to use a vent mount because I'm also in CA so now windshield mounting, and my dash slopes so I can't securely mount onto the dash. However, it does keep the phone cool and I can always take the mount off if I feel like it.

I've got a $10 generic that was originally designed for iPhones but has really good arms that can accomodate the LTEvo. It's pretty much perfect for my needs.

I posted a link early on in the thread for a garmin vent mount that works with the ltevo and mopho docks, so if you wanted to get ghe dock, you could use it with a vent mount.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones