Disinfect/Clean S4: Best method? Clorox wipes? Windex? Alcohol pads?General

1. DualMonitors

DualMonitors Member

Hi All:

the cell phone handset and the kitchen sponge are the 2 most dirty objects we own, according to many studies i've read. this has been repeatedly talked about and i can understand why!

as such, i want to be able to clean my cell phone, if not daily, maybe every other day. coming home after a long day, hands have touched everything, door knobs, handles, money, and then we grab our cell phones.

may i ask what is the best way to clean and disinfect our cell phones?

i've thought of using those wet wipes (round plastic dispenser containers, in a roll form inside) from Clorox wet wipes, they don't seem that strong.

i've also thought of using Alcohol Pads (those tiny 1" x 1" square little thin alcohol pads available from any drug store, many use these to wipe oral thermometers when they're sick).

Windex and paper towels?

What might be least hurtful to the phone yet still effective in disinfecting and cleaning? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Windex? Not just no, but hell no! That will strip the oleophobic (anti-oil) coating on the screen.

The best suggestion that I have is to go into a consumer electronics store and find yourself an LCD/Plasma screen cleaning kit. These kits contain cleaning solutions that contain no alcohol or ammonia.

Endust makes one such product and the kit contains a microfiber cloth that will not scratch the screen. http://endustforelectronics.com/12275.php
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Stay away from harsh cleaners for sure
  4. Money_Mark

Money_Mark Well-Known Member

A $3 microfiber cloth is really all you need. This will wipe away nearly all dirt and smudge while not harming the oleophobic film on the glass. For deeper cleanings, spray the microfiber with simple water before wiping down. This is really all you will ever need.

MM
  5. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Your phone may (or may not) be covered in germs but it's highly unlikely that you are going catch anything from it. After all, where did all those germs come from? That's right, they were on you already.

Unless you allow strangers to lick your phone (or worse) it's absolutely nothing to be concerned about.
  6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Just wash your hands. ;)
    Have never cleaned any of my phones or tablets and I'm sure they're filthy. Good personal hygiene goes a long way outside of cleaning every surface you touch. :)
  7. MBM7881

MBM7881 Well-Known Member

I use the Zeiss lens cleaning wipes. You can get them from Walmart for like $3.00 for 50 wipes.
  8. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Spectacle wipes will do the job also - both contain enough isopropyl alcohol to knock out microbes while being safe to use on coated glass.
    MBM7881 likes this.
  9. MBM7881

MBM7881 Well-Known Member

Where do I get those
  10. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Spectacle wipes? Any half-decent optician or drug store should stock them. Over here own-brand varieties are available from chain outlets such as Boots and Superdrug.