• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dislike apple but....

jaspabt1

Apr 13, 2010
UK
Hi. My friend has an ipod. He has bought an FM transmitter for his Ipod which lets him play it through his radio by tuning into the set frequency. It worked reallywell. I am looking to get one of these and wanted to know if you can get them for HTC phones. I have seen the generic ones which plug into the earphone socket, but ideally wanted one which connected to the bottom of the my Desire via the micro USB so i had no wires anywhere. the Ipod/iphone one my mate has just clips onto the bottom using the charging port.

Also, has anyone found a good site for HTC accesories? thanks

The number of accessories that are made to work with ipods/iphones is unbelievable and one of the things that serve to make competing with them very difficult for other companies, even though HTC etc use a standard port not some proprietary nonsense.

In short, I don't think you'll be very likely to find one that plugs through the USB port as (afaik) the desire doesn't stream music over USB.

What it does do is allow access to the memory card over USB so it is possible for a device to attach and actually play the music itself but it's not a very elegant solution.

Upvote 0
The number of accessories that are made to work with ipods/iphones is unbelievable and one of the things that serve to make competing with them very difficult for other companies, even though HTC etc use a standard port not some proprietary nonsense.

In short, I don't think you'll be very likely to find one that plugs through the USB port as (afaik) the desire doesn't stream music over USB.

What it does do is allow access to the memory card over USB so it is possible for a device to attach and actually play the music itself but it's not a very elegant solution.

So is the 3.5 jack the only real option at present? All my music would be stored on the memory card anyway.
Alternatively can it stream music via bluetooth?

Upvote 0
Won't work I'm afraid...

The reason the iPhone can do it is because their multi pin dock connector includes contacts for line level analogue audio already - for this application, that's functionally identical to the headphone jack.

Accomplishing this via usb is VASTLY more complicated - you'd need the phone to act as a usb host, which AFAIK it can't, and write drivers to install an audio interface. So don't hold your breath for the feature - use the headphone jack or Bluetooth.

(the alternative, of course, is kludging analogue audio into a non-standard usb connector, and I for one am very glad HTC stopped doing that...!)

Upvote 0
Maybe you should change the subject line of your post.....we dont want any pro apple talk in here!
:D

thanks everyone. I dont do pro apple talk unless its really really deserved :(

Ok im gonna og down the bluetooth route then. Ive seen a cassete tape that acts as a bluetooth connection and handsfree. I just put it into my cassette player in my car to work. Anyone had experience of these? i only want a cheap solution until i get a new car which will have bluetooth already built in

Upvote 0

Ok im gonna og down the bluetooth route then. Ive seen a cassete tape that acts as a bluetooth connection and handsfree. I just put it into my cassette player in my car to work. Anyone had experience of these? i only want a cheap solution until i get a new car which will have bluetooth already built in

Good decision, I have had three of those fm transmitters and they were all useless. Fine for local use but you get lots of interference on longer drives.

Upvote 0

Easy tiger, even cheaper: go to a market and get a 'cassette with 3.5mm jack' (couple of quid)--saves bluetooth signal, thus battery, and cash. It's also a beautiful thing to have the cutting edge of technology playing through a wire and a dead format!:D

Upvote 0
i know this isnt the answer for now but i'm sure that the desire has the Broadcom BCM4329 WiFi/FM transmit/receive chipset. This means that basically it 'could' with the right software, be able to transmit to FM as it has the hardware to do so.

If we see this function put live or not in a future update who knows.....

Upvote 0
This is one option I need to consider and the most simplest option seems to be a plug in FM Transmitter ( via jack plug ) . They are quite cheap to buy, and the wires to be honest are quite minimal.

Currently, my N97 has a built in FM Transmitter - which works really well with my car, so ditching the phone means finding an alternative method of connecting to the car's stereo ( older car, so it doesn't have Bluetooth ) .

Upvote 0
Currently, my N97 has a built in FM Transmitter - which works really well with my car, so ditching the phone means finding an alternative method of connecting to the car's stereo ( older car, so it doesn't have Bluetooth ) .
Like someone wrote before - I'm using an old-school cassette with jack and it works great :) Can't be bothered with buying Bluetooth radio, good clear speakers are a better investment :) And no, that does not mean the idiotic bass tube pissing people off on the streets - I prefer to keep my music to myself :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones