• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Display battery usage

lower your brightness or turn on auto brightness? Also turn off gps.

FYI, I know there are tons of opinoins out there on this, but you should do something called battery conditioning. You basically let you battery drain to 0% and have it shut down on you. Then plug it in and charge it aaaaallll the way back to 100%. Do this like 2 or 3 times. When I did the above procedure (kinda by accident) my battery life DEFINITELY increased. Before I would get 8-10 hrs (when my droid was out of the box) but after conditioning i was getting like 14 hrs and thats when I would leave on GPS use wifi AND bluetooth....basically heavy usage.

Anyways like i said before there are different opinoins on this but my first hand experience seems to be positive after battery conditioning. After all, you could give it a shot, it doesnt hurt (at least i'm 90% sure it doesnt hurt)

Upvote 0

FYI, I know there are tons of opinoins out there on this, but you should do something called battery conditioning. You basically let you battery drain to 0% and have it shut down on you. Then plug it in and charge it aaaaallll the way back to 100%. Do this like 2 or 3 times. When I did the above procedure (kinda by accident) my battery life DEFINITELY increased. Before I would get 8-10 hrs (when my droid was out of the box) but after conditioning i was getting like 14 hrs and thats when I would leave on GPS use wifi AND bluetooth....basically heavy usage.

Anyways like i said before there are different opinoins on this but my first hand experience seems to be positive after battery conditioning. After all, you could give it a shot, it doesnt hurt (at least i'm 90% sure it doesnt hurt)

Worked for me as well. I don't care what people say about newer battery tech not needing this. It definitely lengthened my batter life...

Upvote 0

Yes, your procedure does work but I just wanted to clarify some things. I mean this post in no disrespect. I am just trying to support your theory with actual facts and clarify a few things so that your post also doesn't mislead people.

When you discharge the Li-Ion battery, make sure you're discharging it by using the device. You won't be discharging to 0%. You discharge until the device shuts off. Any attempt to discharge a Li-Ion battery to 0% would actually just damage the battery and possibly harm you by catching on fire or exploding.

On a NiMH and NiCd battery, there are crystals that form on the insides of them. These crystals reduce the surface area that the NiMH and NiCd batteries have to hold a charge. When you discharge them completely it breaks up these crystals back to microscopic sizes. This reconditions the battery so that it can hold more of a charge again.

Li-Ion batteries on the other hand can not be reconditioned. Li-Ion's decrease in charge capacity over time and can not be regained. Li-Ion's also can not be discharged 100%. There is a certain threshold or limit to how far a Li-Ion can discharge before they become damaged. Because of this, there are small circuits inside the battery pack that prevent the battery from being discharged completely. When the batteries charge reaches this threshold, the circuitry shuts your device and battery off to prevent damage to the battery. There is also a circuitry inside the battery that manages the charging state of the battery along with battery temperature.

When your device dies faster on a Li-Ion battery, it is usually caused by the charge sensor inside the battery becoming misaligned from shallow battery discharges or incomplete battery charging. The misalignment in the sensor causes your battery to not get a full charge when you plug it in (even if your device reads 100% charged. It just thinks its 100% because of the misalignment). To realign this sensor, you can discharge the battery to its shut off state (by using the device the battery was made for) and then charging it back to 100% several times (usually 2-3 times). This realigns the sensor so that the battery can get a complete 100% charge which means your device stays on longer.

To conclude, NiMH and NiCd batteries need reconditioning over time and Li-Ion batteries need a realignment over time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones